1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laurab1983, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Hi

I'm thinking about using Shakespeare as my narrative focus this autumn term but have never taught it before. Have any other teachers in Year 6 used Shakespeare and are willing to share ideas/plans/resources etc that could help me please? It's my first term in a new job and really want to make an impression. I thought I could also link it in with poetry and do the macbeth 3 witches and link with Ancient Greece (I think that's A Midsummer Night's Dream).

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance

2. Hi

I'm thinking about using Shakespeare as my narrative focus this autumn term but have never taught it before. Have any other teachers in Year 6 used Shakespeare and are willing to share ideas/plans/resources etc that could help me please? It's my first term in a new job and really want to make an impression. I thought I could also link it in with poetry and do the macbeth 3 witches and link with Ancient Greece (I think that's A Midsummer Night's Dream).

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I hate to sound negative, but do check what your feeder secondaries do, won't you? They might also be able to advise!

4. I'll check but will have to leave it then in that case as because I am new, I wouldn't know who to contact at the school.

thanks

5. I did Shakespeare with my Y6's in the Autumn term. We focused on the witches bit from Macbeth but also did the rest of the story. We also looked at All the world's a stage.
    We also had C'est tout theatre company in every year to do some work with the Y6 classes
    I am sure I have some planning and a few resources around somewhere if you want them.

6. I did Macbeth last year and my class LOVED it - especially the boys who got really into it due to the gory and ghostly bits! If you would like a copy of my plans and resources for this I will mail them to you.

7. I've done Macbeth with Yr6 in the past and they've thoroughly enjoyed it - blood and gore keeps all entertained!
    I might link the Tempest with the storm in Moby Dick this year as tried that a few years ago and the children did some fantastic writing on shipwrecks, which I guess could then be linked with treasure island.
    Better go write that idea down somewhere!!!

8. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I've done work on Macbeth, Twelfth Night, Comedy of Errors and MND. I did some drama work in OFSTED week that went down a storm, and have done 3 musical versions with the children. BBC do musical versions of MND, Macbeth and The Tempest as part of Music Workshop, and they're really good. If you want ideas, email me on ffab208@gmail.com and I'll send you any info I've got (it might take a while as all my stuff is currently packed in boxes due to classroom move).

9. Wow, thanks everyone! I'd be grateful of any plans that you have at all. I have bought the animated tales of Shakespeare (a bargain on Amazon) and the Macbeth one is brilliant! My email is

laurabarrass@hotmail.com

Thank you again

10. gcsouth

gcsouth New commenter

I'd also be VERY grateful for any plans that anyone has as I'm moving to a one-form entry primary in September, teaching year 6! Thanks!

g.m.cutter@ntlworld.com

11. You both have mail : )

12. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

jennyded, I'm really sorry to jump on the band wagon, but I'd love a copy of your plans. I'm also moving to Y6 in September and am sitting here surrounded by a mountain of paper, not quite knowing where to start!!!

Thanks!

lumleylass@yahoo.co.uk

13. You have mail! I was new to Y6 last year and was an absolute nervous wreck about it so know exactly how you feel!

14. I'm starting a Y6 contract this autumn, and would love some plans and ideas, can I join the queue?

heartfelt4ed@yahoo.co.uk

15. You both have mail : )

16. Thanks for the planning stuff it all looks fab.

17. Thank you very much.

When on supply, I worked in a school which had a set of primary-pitched Shakespeare texts. I didn't note the publishers.

Which texts are recommended?

18. You have mail andyknox1!

The main text I used is out of print (a friend photocopied the whole book for me, kind personh that she is!) but I also used the following texts that I purchased from Amazon. They are all good.

Macbeth (Orchard Classics S.) by Andrew Matthews, William Shakespeare, and Tony Ross (This is a good primary school friendly version of the story)

Macbeth (Comic Book Shakespeare S.) by William Shakespeare and Simon Greaves (My class liked this text as it has the real shakespearian language above the child friendly language.)

"Macbeth" for Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun! S.) by Lois Burdett (This one has some good ideas in it)

I also used the animated tale too.