1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Sex Education

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by Lauren1, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Would anyone have any ideas as to how to handle teaching sex education to Year 6? I've never had to do this before and am dreading the very idea!

My group is heavily boy orientated with a few girls. This will be a topic post SATS. I want them to get the most out of it without feeling embarrassed or embarrassing others.

Any help, resource suggestions etc. would be gratefully appreciated!

2. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Would anyone have any ideas as to how to handle teaching sex education to Year 6? I've never had to do this before and am dreading the very idea!

My group is heavily boy orientated with a few girls. This will be a topic post SATS. I want them to get the most out of it without feeling embarrassed or embarrassing others.

Any help, resource suggestions etc. would be gratefully appreciated!

3. Hi Lauren
    I have been working on a project for Secondary sex education and have now completed an 8 lesson scheme looking at puberty, changes in feelings, friendships and peer pressure for Year 7.
    If you would like I can send this to you, it might give you some ideas [​IMG]
    my email is randomgirly@hotmail.com

4. even if you're not in London why not try the new London SRE core curriculum guidance as a start? www.younglondonmatters.org/resources and then look under 'sex and relationships'. The advice is excellent. There are hyperlinks to resources and lesson plans.

5. We use "Help Im hairy" and involve the school nurse in the delivery of sex education. We also split the class into gender groups. In the past we have also used a question box where the pupils write any questions down they wish answered this also gives you time to prepare the best way to answer any embarrassing questions in line with your school policies.
    Hope this was some help.

6. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

These are useful ideas, many thanks for all your suggestions. Let's hope I manage to spare everyone's blushes!

7. I looked up 'Help Im hairy' on the internet and found the lesson plans and resources. It looks great so I'd like to use it with my Year Sixes this half term. I don't seem to be able to find the DVD that goes with it though? Any ideas?
    Cheers, Lyndsey

8. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

No idea I'm afraid, but the title's hilarious!

Our school have now changed their minds as to what they're doing, so this little joy is going to reappear at another time. Sorry I can't be of more help there.

9. It is isn't it?! Think we're gonna use the Channel 4 DVD with a few of the ideas and resources from 'Help I'm Hairy!'
    Thanks any way :)

10. Hi

I'm glad to see people are talking about Help I'm Hairy. We produced this resource and you can get hold of a copy from us to use alongside the free downloadable lesson plans.

email me direct if you want further info: julia@catchermedia.co.uk

We also have a resource called Sexpert? aimed at KS3 + 4 and are working on "Show Me Yours" for Yr 7's. All of these projects have been produced by working directly with the age group they are intended to help. Peer learning is key to these resources.

Thanks

11. Just wanted to say I have had quite a few people requesting copies of Help I'm Hairy via this forum. So thought you might like to know that there is now an online version at www.easysre.net along with other SRE and well being resources for key stages 1-5. Including SRE, domestic abuse and mental well being resources.