1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 science revision - what do they need to know and see?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Apr 5, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

We are one of the very special chosen schools to carry out the science sampling tests this year!! I feel very honoured naturally (NOT)
    Throughout the year, I have been carrying out loads of data handling with my class etc which now they are fab at but on a recent science test, they did so badly on the investigative questions eg the one about which bag would the be the strongest, what would happen if we mixed bicarbonate of soda with vinegar etc and I am panicing slightly. As science has been linked with the creative curriculum in recent years and teachers lower down the schoo have kind of done their own thing, alot of the experiments that my chidlren should have done, they have missed out on.
    Has any one got any tips for experiments that they should have carried out to help them with identifiying the variables involved and what would be measured etc?

2. groovyshell83

We are one of the very special chosen schools to carry out the science sampling tests this year!! I feel very honoured naturally (NOT)
    Throughout the year, I have been carrying out loads of data handling with my class etc which now they are fab at but on a recent science test, they did so badly on the investigative questions eg the one about which bag would the be the strongest, what would happen if we mixed bicarbonate of soda with vinegar etc and I am panicing slightly. As science has been linked with the creative curriculum in recent years and teachers lower down the schoo have kind of done their own thing, alot of the experiments that my chidlren should have done, they have missed out on.
    Has any one got any tips for experiments that they should have carried out to help them with identifiying the variables involved and what would be measured etc?

3. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

Poor you!
    Don't believe our poor year 6's have done anything other than numeracy and literacy, all day every day!

4. groovyshell83

thankyou for the sympathy - i guess in a way my class are lucky. they were only getting maths abd literacy but now they have a bit of variety with science revision too!! haha