1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 - Saturday and Easter Booster Sessions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Mar 11, 2016.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Quick show of hands. Who's doing any or all of:

- After school boosters
    - Saturday boosters
    - Easter Holiday boosters

Slightly stunned (and entirely depressed) to find out how widespread this is in schools local to mine. We're doing none of these, I might add.

If you are, are you not encountering much refusal from parents?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Oh this is dreadful and pretty much amounts to abuse. The schools concerned should be ashamed of themselves.

Let them enjoy childhood!

3. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

Good grief, no! If they're not taking it in during 'normal' lessons when all Y6 teachers are throwing the kitchen sink at them I doubt they'll gain much more from extra stuff (aside from interventions).

Give them a break! Who is it all for- the child or the school?

sparklepig2002 and nick909 like this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

My thoughts entirely.

5. gill42

gill42 New commenter

We are most definitely NOT doing these. Poor kids have got enough to put up with, without extra during the holidays!

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

None. Never. Ever.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Definitely for the school's benefit - look how brilliant we are. The reality is quite different. They've had more than adequate time to teach them the content in the new curriculum. If they need so much 'boostering' then what on earth have they actually been doing for the last two years? If it's just that they're not at the required level...well....they are what they are and you can't make them into something they're not. That's the point of the tests.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

None of the above.

9. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

None. We have voluntary open session two days after school where children can stay and receive help with targets or homework. About half of the year group attend. However, we have no official 'boosters'. As far as we are concerned, the children, and staff, need the Easter holidays to relax and it's an opportunity for children to let all of the new knowledge and skills settle. We drive them forward at such a pace that time to reflect and absorb is so important. We will be giving them some maths, reading, writing, spelling and GPS tasks to do at home but will limit this to no more than two hours worth of work.

10. OG19

OG19 New commenter

The reality is quite different, I'm afraid. It's one thing saying schools have had enough time to teach the new curriculum; it's another to say that the kids have learned it all in that time. If the secondary curriculum keeps getting pushed down to primary schools, then at some point, what is currently the KS3 standard will be the expected y6 standard. I know that sounds ridiculous but where do we draw the line and who draws it?

No wonder children's mental health problems are on the increase; many children are just not ready for the jump regardless of when the new curriculum was started in their school.

And we're doing none of the booster sessions etc,

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Um? What?!

teacup71 likes this.
  12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

a result of some HTs obsession with "keeping up with the Jones'" Or put another way, " I saw this great idea in this other school, so we should do it"
    I used to work for McDonalds a few life times ago, one of their central tenants is that you cannot introduce a new idea without making room by dropping an old one. One thing that schools could learn from!

whitestag likes this.
  13. whitestag

So clearly you didn't read my post properly. I said that schools have had enough time to teach the curriculum properly. because they have. I also said that if the pupils were not at the 'required level' then they are what they are, because that is true also. Just because the government changes the curriculum doesn't mean that the pupils will rise to it in the space of two years.

You are disagreeing with someone who is actually making the same point as you.

Yes, you heard me. Schools have had adequate time to teach the content of the new curriculum. It was available in 2013 and anyone with any sense would have made some attempt to engage with the new content from then.

I think that the majority of primary aged pupils are capable of rising to the new standard. Perhaps not this year, but in future years, with four years of good. solid teaching, yes they are. Note: I say the majority, before you become further outraged at the notion that we can expect high standards of our children.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  14. whitestag

Nonsense. Children are stressed because schools are putting too much pressure on them. This is due to an obsession with the school's results looking good and impressing Ofsted. The type of pressure exerted on children through the above outlined ridiculous booster session programme is instigated, not through a concern for children, but through a culture of **** covering. And yes, that is because the system forces that upon us. But why don't we just say: sod you, Ofsted, we'll teach the curriculum as best we can, if the children don't rise to it, then that is just life.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well this is reassuring, anyway. Assuming those that are doing it aren't just keeping their heads below the parapets...

Just the conversation I was having yesterday. If schools are doing this and then through doing this, they achieve the expected standards, it will be used to demonstrate that the standards are reasonable and we should all stop complaining and get on with it. Sad that as a profession we can't unite on this.

16. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I think teaching of the curriculum is fine it's the assessment and confusing changes that are a problem.