1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 SATs!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sketcher, Feb 19, 2011.

1. sketcher

sketcher New commenter

Just taken over a year 6 class. The previous teacher has left nothing for me to go on as to where they are at or what they have done. The head teacher is wanting miracles!
    Help!
    Where should I go from here? I need to prepare them for SATs but how?

2. sketcher

sketcher New commenter

Just taken over a year 6 class. The previous teacher has left nothing for me to go on as to where they are at or what they have done. The head teacher is wanting miracles!
    Help!
    Where should I go from here? I need to prepare them for SATs but how?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It's hard to believe nothing is recorded at all for year 6, but you could look at their end of y5 levels to give you a clue as to where they might be now. Have you any past papers in school?

4. I would start by finding out where they are now. Have you been left any assessment info? I have just done a practise SATs week where the children do last year's SATs so I can see how well they do under the pressure with the actual tests.
    I've now tracked all the tests and identified those children who are working above, at and below expectations. I also know individual weaknesses and whole class areas for further work.
    After half term I will be doing journalism in Literacy for three weeks and will then spend the rest of the term revising any genres I have not covered this year. I will do them in Literacy through my topic of rivers. so we will write an explanation of the river processes etc.
    In maths I have a list of key objects taken from the APP grids at level 4 and 5. I will abandon the block teaching and teach the key objectives. I will also cover any areas that the children found difficult in their practice SATs.
    i hope this helps.

5. sketcher

sketcher New commenter

Thanks for the advise.

I am going in next week to look for the past SATs papers. Hopefully they will be filed somewhere although the Head doesn't know where. :S

I do have the tracking sheets for last year. The previous teacher was an NQT who was not guided well it seems and so when he went last week he took everything with him.

I've looked through their literacy books and they have been looking at persuasive texts and writing debates.

I have some CGP practise papers so in the event that I can't find the past papers I will start with these next term to assess where they are now.

6. Beat me to it!!