1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 SATs, should they stay or go?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by francesca87, Feb 2, 2011.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

yearsixteacher, re:

" Are you suggesting that if test says 3a and my TA says 4b I shouldn't ask why? "
    Test levels are whole levels - there aren't any as, bs, cs, ds, whatever. Level 3 result in an NCT is simply level 3. It doesn't "say" anything else.
    There aren't any as, bs, whatever in the National Curriculum levels either. When you report your TA, it'll just be a number - for the whole level.
    "4b"? Does that mean on the way to a level 4? In other words, level 3? So, same as NCT result?

2. sub levels split the levels into smaller increments: a low level 4 is 4c, middle is 4b and a high level 4 is 4a. so 4b is a secure level 4.
    Sorry if it sounded confusing, I assumed the use of sub-levels was commonplace in primary schools.
    I suppose it's just a convenient way of recording progress: if a child who started the year scraping a level 3 then moves on and almost (but not quite) reaches a level 4, then the raw data says he has remained level 3 all year. You know, and I know he has made progress. My teacher assessment says he's made progress and the raw test score would have gone up.
    Now it depends what the data is used for here. If the data is collected to grade performance, then someone could use the "they're still level 3!" jibe to judge a teacher. In which case, I would prefer to show that progress has been made through the use of sub levels ("They've moved on 2 sub levels").
    Moreover, if I know that the child has made good progress over the year, but had an off day in the test, I'd prefer my more accurate TA level to take priority. This is still not the case, however as test results remain the only yardstick by which pupils are measured (e.g. check the BBC league tables link - only the NCT results are used)