1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 SATs reading paper for Yr 5?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mccarty, Apr 20, 2011.

1. My DHT wants our Yr 5 children to do a past Yr 6 sats reading test for their summer assessment, saying that it will stretch the more able - but I'm worried about a lot of issues if we do this.
    I've spoken to both the English manager and the head of Yr 6 who both agree with me that it's a bad idea, plus where would it leave the other year groups. I'm head of Yr 5 and feel that I'm, being 'railroaded' into it.
    I'm not sure about discussing it with HT as she will probably just agree with the deputy anyway.
    Any thoughts?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Both the year 5 and KS2 tests are aimed at levels 3-5 so can't see the problem myself. As there are only 2 year 5 tests and we assess three times a year, we also use a KS2 one for the final summer assessment. It also gives a good baseline for starting year 6.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm the same, as long as the children are working between levels 3 and 5 I don't see what difference it makes whether it says yr 5 or yr 6 on the front! Maths is slightly different as there may be some areas of the curriculum not covered in yr 5 which are tested on the yr 6 paper ( but not much!) but for reading comprehension I wouldn't say it makes any difference!

4. What are the issues?

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I don't see the difference between them doing it in the summer term of year 5 or the autumn term of year 6. Last year we streamed across years 5 and 6 and for several years before that we had mixed age classes so 5 and 6 were in together. It doesn't do them any harm to be exposed to year 6 papers early.

6. In my school we also use KS2 SAT tests for the Y5 summer term assessments. As a Y6 teacher I feel this is really useful in providing baseline data for the beginning of the Autumn term. It is also helpful for the Y6 pupils themselves to know what to expect in the SATs. Not only does it do no harm to expose them to Y6 papers early, I actually feel it is of value.