1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 SATS - papers returned?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uk2020, Jun 13, 2014.

1. poet

poet New commenter

Beaties - yes! Particularly question 4 where they'd written a sentence not a phrase. So frustrating as they completely understood what the answer was but were trying to 'cover' themselves. I feel it's unfair and shall be (unsuccessfully) appealing. There are also a few odd grammar things - one of my EAL children wrote odd shaped instead of odd shape and they have been marked wrong. Grrrrr. And yes makes all the difference. Raises my Level 4 percentage by 10% and my level 5 by 12% :(

2. Ah, glad it's not just us- although not pleased that you are in the same boat. We have been left reeling at the injustice of it all and , like you, will be appealing.

3. Question 4..... curse those bloomin' potatoes ;)

4. Agree totally there was one question where you had to underline PHRASE to do with fear the answer was something like

'he cowered down in a paralysis of fear'

Child put something like 'At that moment he cowered down in a paralysis of fear'

and it was marked wrong

5. I marked reading this year. Training was very specific. We couldn't accept more than the phrase. Harsh but true.

6. HI s84ajhewitt -did they say why

7. How terrible :(. This has left me despairing and disillusioned. Children who have answered with clear intent, understanding and even including the phrase from the mark scheme have been penalised for perhaps adding the words. In the 1500's. S84ajhewitt, I don't mean to harass you; of course you must follow the guidelines you were given. I do believe that the children have been set up to fail with this new paper and I am heartbroken and furious for them in equal measure.

8. poet

poet New commenter

I completely agree. I cannot understand how this tests their reading capacity and understanding of the text. It has left me incredibly upset for my children. Lots of my 18's missed this question and therefore a level 4 (and number 6 with the 'in the 1500s' extra) Also - in the guidance for 6 it specifies not to accept the whole sentence but not in 4, just the highlighted 'one'. So frustrating.

9. bernie30

bernie30 New commenter

Hi,

Please help - where are the mark schemes? I've just logged onto nca tools and can;t find them - any help appreciated x

10. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

mark schemes are hidden away at bottom of test order page for key stage 2 sats - I have no idea why they are there and not near the thresholds.

11. We experienced the same in the reading. Several children being penalised for writing a whole sentence instead of a phrase. Such a shame. We had 1 child who was 1 mark off a 4 and another who was 1 mark off a 5 and this would have made all the difference. (There are only 10 Year 6s in our cohort).

12. Which papers have you all had back? We've got our 3-5 Maths and 3-5 Reading but no GPS and no Level 6! I could really do with them as the GPS and L6 were where the borderline levels were! Any idea how to get hold of the ones we're missing?

13. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

They were scanned and can be viewed online on the ncatools.

14. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I marked reading too, training was very specific and unlike in other years, some questions were looking for complete precision in copying. And yes if it askead for a phrase a sentence was too much :(

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I had two children drop a mark for writing the sentence rather than the phrase, both would have been level 5 with the extra point!

16. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You might feel better if you look at it this way - that question was harder than it looked and if it was causing a lot of children to drop a mark, then it could have affected where the threshold was.

So, if your two had been allowed the mark, despite writing too much, then so would many others and they could still have been a mark short because the threshold could have been a mark higher with that question being made easier.

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ok, I'll try to look on the bright side!

18. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

It doesn't make me feel better. It makes me wonder why a test paper and mark scheme would be so designed to be needlessly pedantic/pathetic.