1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 SATS advice

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by elmelo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. elmelo

elmelo New commenter

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Just wondered what you were all doing for your literacy SATs prep. Last year I spent the run up the tests doing practice reading tests in guided reading and practice papers in grammar along with lessons to plug gaps.

However, this year I've been told that I need more in books and working through papers aren't classed as suitable lessons. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

By that argument, driving instructors shouldn't have people driving round the roads when they're about to take a test.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you have been teaching the class since September, you should have a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses. So teach them the things they don't yet know or aren't too sure about.

I have to agree that spending lesson time doing heaps of tests isn't really the best teaching and learning. Yes, they need the odd one or two, to know what the tests are like and how to work to time, but nothing more than that.

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

As far as I know they haven't made many examples of tests available, just a few sets? Please tell me if I'm wrong?