1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 residential trip to London - what to see/do/where to go?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bigbev, Sep 10, 2012.

1. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

You must look at the museum websites as many things are free but do need booking!

2. Does it have to fit in with anything they are doing in school, e.g. a particular History topic?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm bemused by the idea of deciding on a residential without clear ideas on its purpose. Why London? What's the objective of the residential?
    If it's 'They live in the North and most have never been to London', it's a poor premise.

4. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Wow really helpful idea there..... thanks.

Not my idea, head's dead set on it, but I think it's a fab idea for a completely different trip to do with them. to experience it! Because it's a place FULL of things to see and things to do, and full of history. Why the hell not?! Whatever the premise. Kids learn MASSES on whatever trip they go on.
    Obviously we want to SEE things like houses of parliament, buckingham palace, big ben, westminster etc etc etc. And want to take them to a show of some sort. And visit A museum, but there are so many!
    Creative curriculum, and 'settlements' will be my topic (july we will probably go) so I'll fit the topic to London and compare to where we are etc, and look at key events in the history and how the Thames and geography has shaped the settlement...
    I could go on - but I actually came on, posted, and asked if anyone had any helpful suggestions of things that they thought we should see/do/visit, regardless of my topics, reason for going, life history..... just any good ideas of what others would do if they were doing the same.
    Thanks for any actual advice.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We go with our year 6's every year with no other reason than to enjoy ourselves! This year we
    went to Kensington Gardens, had a picnic, wandered through to Hyde Park Corner ( paddling in the Princess Diana memorial as we did, passing the Triathlon arena) and had a open top bus tour round London. The next day we went to the London Dungeons ( children had raised their own money by holding a sponsored spell to pay for the tickets) onto the Tower of London, river cruise down the river and then a trip on the London Eye, the following day was a visit to the Houses of Parliament, booked through our MP, a walk through London to Covent Garden, shopping, trip to China town, Theatre Visit, meal out. Next dayScience and Natural History Museums, paddling in the V&A and then back to school ( train both ways) All this, together with accomodation, food and travel came to just over £160.

6. eliot371

eliot371 New commenter

I would suggest getting in touch with your local MP and arranging a trip around the Houses of Parliament. I haven't taken a class but have been with my own children - it is fab, if only to go through all the security (you have special passes made for the day) - but the history of Westminister Hall and the actual building - you get to see the desk with the grooves in where Churchill banged his hand down during speeches etc... I will stop (I think to go up Big Ben the children need to be 12). Though there was mention in the news of HP locating for repairs... not sure of the dates for this.
    Other ideas : Tower of London, The Globe, Tate Modern... the list is endless
    Enjoy !

7. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Thanks Eliot371 and Carrie!
    We wondered about a river cruise! That sounds good, and someone else said getting in touch with mp might mean we could do houses parliament etc so thats good too! Some fab ideas!
    And Carrie - my thoughts exactly, why can't it just be a fun trip to enjoy and experience something!!!!
    Aesop - my previous comment was not aimed at you. At least you were enquiring and not dismissive and inpolite.
    Thanks for all the ideas - can I ask where you stayed Carrie? (acommodation wise?)

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

South London Scout Camp,we don't camp, we have bunkhouse accommodation, cheap and cheerful and only 20 mins train from Victoria. Lovely grounds, wide open spaces, camp fires, trees, foxes and squirrels! However it books up quickly, we book for the next year when we go this! There are other scout camps around London however

9. We had an amazing residential last summer linked to Ancient Greeks and the olympics. We also studied the Tudors in Autumn term so some of the visits were linked to that! We stayed at the YHA in Southwark which was OK. We went to:
    Tower of London
    IMAX
    Globe theatre (amazing)
    Golden Hinde (amazing)
    Science museum
    London Eye (in the evening)
    It was an amazing experience but as usual the cost of the bus is the bane!!!
    I was wondering if anyone had any accommodation ideas?