1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Residential to London- what to do in the evenings??!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spugs21, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Spugs21

Spugs21 New commenter

Hi all,

I've somehow been roped into organised a resedential for our year 6's to go down to London ( I am year 6 teacher so it does make sense I have to organise it, but it's very stressfull!).

I've sorted the trains, the accomodation and a basic itinery which roughly includes houses of parliment, tower of london, opentop bus tour and musuems. The thing I'm stressing about now is the evenings- how do you entertain 43 10 and 11 year olds on minimal budget? We can't afford to take them to a show- much to my disappointment!

Any ideas would be greatfully accepted- I want to make sure it's as organised and as "fun filled" as possible- don't want them to have any opportunities to get bored and misbehave!

Thanks

2. If you are close to one of the parks, you could play rounders one night.... I remember a school residential to London I went on as a primary pupil (about 30 years ago!) and vividly remember playing rounders in one of the parks, possibly Vauxhall.

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

When my son took secondary pupils to London they went 10 pin bowling and had burgers one evening - not too pricey and enjoyed by all.
    If you have a communal room to use how about some games - charades, music/sport/photo quiz.
    Why not ask the children for suggestions?

4. I took my Year 6s to London a few years ago and we had a fab time! Where are you staying? We were on the HMS Belfast so were right in the centre. I managed to get a really good deal with London Eye for all the children plus I know they do river cruises as well. We made a 'big deal' out of evening meals - eg they dressed up for pizza express, played rounders when we ate fish and chips in the park. Science museum has night activities sometimes. Are you sure a show would cost that much? What about one of the smaller childrens' theatres? Ice skating can be cheap? Bowling? Roller disco? Long walk. Good company - Londonwalks.com (i think!) very cheap per head and do a great two hour or so walk around London (eg ghosts, WW2 - I've seen a few).
    Can't think of anything else for now...let me know if you need any more info!

5. from previous experience y6 love a talent show! if you tell them in advance they could start to get their acts sorted before they go. an x-factor style panel of judges works well, specially if someone is simon cowell!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Knock out drops and bedtime.

7. I teach at an international school in the Czech Republic. We go to London ever year for six days.

In the evenings we have taken a stroll around Westminster - ended up at the London Eye and gone on the London Eye (hmm, maybe school groups can get a discount come to think of it - but I've not tried).
    There's a great arcade next to the London Eye (just before crossing the bridge). Let them spend money on bumper cars maybe? Our Year 6 kids loved it.
    Pillow fights WITH RULES keep them entertained for a good half an hour. But I'm not sure you'll get away with that one since your a British school. Our school culture is totally different.
    Have a look for free or very cheap classical music concerts on Google.You may get lucky!
    Lower league football clubs play in the evenings. We went to see West Ham one year, and then Millwall just last year.
    Shopping down at Oxford Circus can't be bad.
    Take them to a well lit park and play some night sports games.
    Enjoy.