1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 6 recount ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Jan 10, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Hi all, I am looking for some inspiration. I am going to do a week on recounts next week with my year 6s. I want to work on retelling events in an interesting way thinking carefully about the words and language that they are using to create different effects.
    To grab their attention and keep it interesting, I would like to link it to a fiction book and then retell events from the book in recount style if that make sense and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the texts that I could use. I was thinking of using some of the Anthony Browne books as these have really grabbed their attention this week or maybe some extracts from Harry Potter using the films for more inspiration.
    How does these ideas sound? Any tips from anyone?

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Hi all, I am looking for some inspiration. I am going to do a week on recounts next week with my year 6s. I want to work on retelling events in an interesting way thinking carefully about the words and language that they are using to create different effects.
    To grab their attention and keep it interesting, I would like to link it to a fiction book and then retell events from the book in recount style if that make sense and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the texts that I could use. I was thinking of using some of the Anthony Browne books as these have really grabbed their attention this week or maybe some extracts from Harry Potter using the films for more inspiration.
    How does these ideas sound? Any tips from anyone?

3. Have used Tuesday by David Weisner - it has no words, just pictures. Had the children gripped straightaway. Great for role play/drama then chronological work.
    Also faked a break-in at the school and got all of the other adults in on this. Pretended that some new laptops had been taken, teachers had their suspicions about how the burglars found a window open etc. Children investigated, took photos of the crime scene etc and wrote fantastic newspaper reports with quotes, opinions, subtley of suggesting what 'apparently' happened and so on.