1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 6 reading help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Nov 13, 2011.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Please help. Before half term, I did a reading SATS with my year 6 class. I wasn't very impressed with the results and was more disappointed that only half the chidlren finished the test.I don't want to keep testing them but am not sure what else to do to get them up to speed and answering the questions quickly and accurately.
    Any tips please??

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I find that working in pencil helps speed them up ... slightly random, but probably something about the scratchy berol handwriting pens they usually write with.

Also, our children arrive in Year 6 having been taught that a good comprehension answer is always in full sentences and makes sense ... e.g.

"Why are children slow at answering comprehension questions in SATs tests in Year 6?"

Children are slow at answering comprehension questions in SATs tests in Year 6 because ...

This slows them down incredibly.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Use the tests as a teaching tool. 'Teach' them how to speed read and how to write quick, but full mark answers.

Keeping on with testing them will simply depress both you and them.