1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 - Ratio and Proportion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheOracleAtDelphi, Jul 17, 2015.

1. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Hello,

I'm new to year 6 (so apologies in advance if I start posting a lot of questions over the next year - I've got one already lined up about how on earth I'm supposed to know whether the pupils are where they are supposed to be in terms of standardised scores if they're not going to tell us how to convert raw scores to standardised scores :) ) and am currently going through the new national curriculum PoS for year 6 for maths.

The area I am really struggling with is the section on ratio and proportion. The two statements about percentages (although I'm not overly fond of the link with pie charts) and similar shapes are fine but I am really struggling with the other two and the notes and guidance section aren't really elucidating things for me in this case. I'm possibly overthinking it but I was just wondering whether anybody could explain what they mean please?

• "solve problems involving the relative sizes of two quantities where missing values can be found by using integer multiplication and division facts"
    The notes and guidance states "Pupils recognise proportionality in contexts when the relations between quantities are in the same ratio (for example, similar shapes and recipes)" so do they just mean use the principles of proportion to solve problems in context e.g. recipe adjustment or do they mean in some kind of abstract context and if so, could anybody suggest the kind of question they might ask?

• "solve problems involving unequal sharing and grouping using knowledge of fractions and multiples."
    Now the first bit of that sounds like 'sharing according to a ratio' to me (e.g. Jim has 30 sweets which he shares in the ratio of 2:3) but the notes and guidance states "Pupils solve problems involving unequal quantities, for example, ‘for every egg you need three spoonfuls of flour’, ‘ 3/5 of the class are boys’. These problems are the foundation for later formal approaches to ratio and proportion." Now this confuses me because to me both of those are statements rather than problems and I'm not sure what the question is!

Advice gratefully received!

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I think it is getting at things like this: Adam has three times as many apples as Eve; Eve has 6 apples; how many apples do they have altogether?

3. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Ah, I guess I was over-thinking it then! Thanks Andrew (and apologies for the delay in replying!)

4. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Yes, or the age old recipes problems.

Here are the ingredients to make 6 cakes; how much sugar do you need to make 9?

That sort of thing.

5. regretbeaucoup

regretbeaucoup New commenter

The NCETM new curriculum microsite has a section for each year group on each aspect of the curriculum. Go to the exemplification tab and it shows you what all the impenetrable objectives mean. www.ncetm.org.uk/.../41211