1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 production - Grease

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Choochy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Has anyone put on Grease as their year 6 production? If so, was it a success and where did you get it from?

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We're doing the Schools version with Year 8, last performance - I don't think it would be that suitable for Year 6 to put on, as the content is a bit too adult, especially if you are planning for the whole primary school to watch. (e.g. themes of stealing, avoiding police, being a tart to fit in with the rest of the 'in-crowd', bullying, dropping out from school etc...)

It's not especially cheap either, for the licence and scripts.

Not sure which company you get the licence from, other people deal with that, I'm just in the band!

3. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Yes! We have done Grease with year 6 for a couple of years over last 15 years. One of our teachers writes our scripts (adapts them to suit where we are location wise).
    It can be suitable for year 6 as long as you can adapt it. The kids loved performing the songs and dances. Go for it!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You forgot to mention potential pregnancy and joy riding. Our school did Bugsy Malone. That was great. It's got custard guns!

5. We did Gel a few years back - see www.musiclinedirect.com, and I seem to remember it was pretty good, but looking on the website, it seems we did the senior version with our Y6s as it definitely had the pink cover, unless they've changed it.

6. Are you allowed to adapt scripts? I would be surprised if the copyright holders would be pleased with this.

7. Good Morning, if it is at all possible can you please tell me whether you bought the licence for this performance or whether you used a karaoke disc, as i can see you have written your own script with the adaptations made to it.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are primary colleagues entirely comfortable with doing 'Grease' as a school production? I wouldn't allow it in my secondary school when I was a head.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Sixth Form did a carefully modified version when I was a head of a 4-18 school.

Year 6? Flaunting themselves in sexualised roles and ra-ra skirts?

I think not.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

10. Middlemarch

"Tell me more, tell me more, did she put up a fight?"

11. JDBlue1991

JDBlue1991 New commenter

I remember being in year 6 myself and it was our leaving production.

It was made totally suitable for us. We all loved it, as did the parents.

12. Middlemarch

Tell me how you can put on Grease and it be "totally suitable". Honestly, I'm genuinely curious, because to me, it's entire theme as a musical is unsuitable.

"Tell me more, tell me more, did you get very far?"

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There is a school edition available MM - overview here:

www.theatricalrights.com/.../53571

Whenever I have worked on these commercially produced shows it has always been a condition of the Performing Rights that no changes were made to script or score.

14. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It absolutely is. Copyright holders, on behalf of writers and composers don't hold with adulterating the work in public performance except where improvisation is part of the show.

15. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I would be interested to know if primary schools paid for their license to perform the show.

I would agree with MM that the entire musical really isn't suitable for under 11s and I would be very surprised if the rights holders agreed to let schools alter it in any major way

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

In my opinion Grease is not a suitable show for year 6. There are so many other lovely shows out there to choose from-Oliver, Bugsy etc.

We always buy the licence-it is illegal not to and yes, part of the licence agreement is that the script is not altered.