1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 preparation for SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icclejen, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi there

Don't despair! Last year I had the exact same problem, I was planning for just after Christmas and using the Year 6 objectives etc and suddenly had a crisis moment of realising the kids just couldn't do what I was planning.

Luckily I have a fantastic headteacher who trusts me as I proposed something completely random.

We scrapped Maths for 4 weeks and went right back to basics. I took the children to the hall for nearly every lesson - we started with hundreds, tens, units and place value....the children all had numbers stuck to their jumpers and they had to rearrange themselves.......then comparing/ordering numbers....then addition, subtraction etc. I even did literally 4 bean bags and 3 bean bags - what does it equal!!! We did multiplication as groups of in hoops in the hall.....

Then we moved to decimals - children had strips of 10 equal pieces of chocolate, they designed chocolate bars on the back. We added them, multiplied...you name it.

There was hardly ANY work in the kids books, we were due OfSTED but I knew that I could justify why I had done what I had done.

My kids didn't perform on half termly tests and I realised it was because they really didn't have a grasp of the basics - check your kids - I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but I was shocked at what they couldn't do - I found that of course they can't solve word problems involving multiplication when they don't actually understand what multiplication is!

To top off a very good year we got 100% level 4 and 57% level 5 - results like we have NEVER had before - and I know it's not all about the results but we were on track for about 60% at the start of the year so....keep at it!

2. NQT2004

NQT2004 New commenter

I totally agree with all that has been said and enojyed reading the reply - by the time they get to Y6 we assume they know lots of things and then build on quick sand... I love the practical ideas!

3. Thanks for your positive comments, this year I have a completely different class so sadly, can't jump around the hall for a few weeks....

I think as long as you can be confident in explaining and justifying why you are doing then do it, as I found out the hard way, there is no point teaching the kids about brackets, parallel lines and so forth if they can't do the basics!

4. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

i too am a struggling year 6 teacher who ladt year was following the framework and ut just wasnt filling the gaps that were needed. this year im teaching in topics eg a week on different maths concepts after a heavy push on basic calculation in the first few weeks of the year. every other week i do a where is the maths in that day where i give them something eg a timetable, a book, a tube of smarties etc and get them to find the maths so they use all the maths we have learnt so far eg percentage of pages with pictures on in the book, mean numbrt of words on each page, proportion of red to green smarties etc. it has massively boosted confidence as they see how much maths they actually can do and i can see what thry still need work on. hope it helps. be brave and do what your class needs.
    any good tips to boost reading?