1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Power of Imagery

Discussion in 'Primary' started by notebook and pen, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Hi all I going to be teaching Year 6 English for the first time this year and just wondered if you could give me some suggestions of poems. I have some ideas for the personification section (The Train by Emily Dickson, The Fight of the Year by Roger McGough and A Date with Spring by John Agard) would three be enough for Phase 1? Now I am struggling for poems for phase 2 and 3- powerful imagery and surreal, suprising and amusing. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Hi all I going to be teaching Year 6 English for the first time this year and just wondered if you could give me some suggestions of poems. I have some ideas for the personification section (The Train by Emily Dickson, The Fight of the Year by Roger McGough and A Date with Spring by John Agard) would three be enough for Phase 1? Now I am struggling for poems for phase 2 and 3- powerful imagery and surreal, suprising and amusing. Any help would be appreciated!

3. We did The Pied Piper of Hamlyn and the children did a continuation( never gave them the ending) in their own words using ICT to present.

4. Thanks very much but I think might be using that one for something else this year, thanks for the suggestion though- it is a good idea!

5. We did: Charge of the Light Brigade and the chn loved it! We acted out the battle by making shields and having the 2 year 6 classes charge towards each other shouting chants. We then made a great display: The charge of of year 6! with photos, copies of the poem and similes to describe the battle!

6. Thanks athleticsdan, the kids must have really enjoyed that- and you too!

7. Sorry just upping for a new day:)

8. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

I'll be doing this next. Can anyone inspire me with some great poem suggestions for the new year?!

9. I did this for the first two weeks of term and have plans, IWB files, word docs (containing lots of poems for comparison) and writing frames. I'm quite happy to share them with you if you're interested...

10. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

11. Moira & Fredbear,
    Have sent you all the resources I have compiled/created. Hope the planning makes sense - feel free to ask me any questions!

12. Thank you very much

13. Sent!

14. Hi salofi
    Please could I also have a copy of your resources?
    I'm new to this Year 6 poetry unit and Ofsted are due any moment!
    Thanks
    jburgum@live.co.uk

15. Also sent!

16. Hi,
    Please could I also have a copy of yout resources. I'm a PGCE student with Year 6 so any help would be great.
    ed001lp@gold.ac.uk

17. Hi,
    Please could you possibly send me a copy of these plans. I'm also "new" to year 6 as a PGCE student so any help would be great.
    ed001lp@gold.ac.uk
    Thanks.

18. I would love a copy too if possible!

simoandco@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks !!!