1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 6 poetry - the power of imagery

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Aug 18, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

I was just wondering which poems people had used for these and any exciting activities anyone has done. Thinking Pie Corbett City Jungle, maybe not the Pied Piper - seems a bit dark!! Any thoughts?

2. tick/star/smileyface

thank you - this is useful, seems quite SATS y. Have you done this unit?

3. I detest this unit.
    Have used City Jungle which is good and i like to use Silver by Walter De La Mare.
    Theres a poem which personifies death which i also use but for the life of me cant think what its called - quite creepy but the chn seem to like it!

4. The link above is the SATs Revision Planning Exemplification thats why it seems Satsy :)

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. tick/star/smileyface

ooh thanks for the link msz.

7. Msz

1. Recipe to make a wolf
    Take
    the rushing of a storm cloud,
    the growl of a dog in a corner
    and the song of a whale adrift
    for her voice.
    Take
    the shrug of drifting mist,
    a bonfire's smoke swirling
    and an old man's beard
    for her coat.
    Take,
    the strength of an elephant's tusk,
    the jagged tip of a rat's bite
    and a slice of slate
    for her teeth.
    Take,
    the speed of a squirrel's dash,
    the softness of a dove's feathers
    and the fire's fine ash
    for her eyes.
    Take,
    the stab from a heron's beak,
    the flick of a dolphin's tail
    and the strength of cement
    for her claws

8. tick/star/smileyface

Msz that is a great one, thanks. Have you used this for the unit before?

9. Msz

No I've not taught it but it is worth registering on the Teach Primary site (free) as there is lots of useful material the poem is available as a PP.

10. Ahhh man, I love this unit! Now super jealous that I am not in year 6 this year.

I used the Hamilton trust plans as a guide - lot of great poems links there; think it may be a freebee to download - my kids produced some fabulous work!

11. tick/star/smileyface

thanks sparklesocks! Glad you love it - it's my first time in y6! How did you make it even more exciting and interesting?x

12. My class usually love this unit and the City Jungle poem.
    They usually go on to write their own poem called The Classroom Jungle. I get them to imagine opening the classroom door and seeing the craziest classroom ever. Then we brainstorm all the objects that could come alive and think about what they would do. We tend to revise alliteration, adverbials and other word classes at the same time. They find it harder than they expect, but generally produce some fab poems.
    If we have time, I get them to write a contrasting poem, where everything is really calm and relaxed. Hope this helps.