1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Numeracy Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Minkuelle1, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

My numeracy observation is coming up after half term and I was going to do it on area and perimeter. The main focus is how are we pushing the HA group? I am very aware that my numeracy lessons consist mainly of refreshing topics for SAT's prepration, looking at lots of SAT's style questioning so I can understand that this would not be a good lesson for being observed. So are there any ideas anyone could give me especially for the HA children? Would looking at compound shapes be enough for my HA if most of my MA can do this? Many thanks in advance

2. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

On squared paper - investigation: if the perimeter is always 24cm...is the area always the same?
    See pitch and expectations for challenging L5 problems.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Have you done area of triangles? If so, area of triangles in a compound shape. This stretched my HA Y6.

5. You could ask the HA to investigate the area of triangles
    Start with triangles orientated so that they are obviously half a rectangle or square

6. I was going to suggest triangles which would then lead to finding the area of parallelograms and trapeziums which are, in effect made up of rectangles and triangles. You can also do finding the surface area of cuboids and triangular prisms.
    Good luck x

7. I was going to suggest triangles - which would then lead on to finding the area of parallelograms and trapeziums, which are, in effect, made up of rectangles and triangles. You can also do finding the surface area of 3D shapes such as cuboids and triangular prisms.
    Good luck x

8. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

Many thanks for all suggestions. So far my plan is:
    Starter: layered target work.
    Teaching: refresh memory of area / perimeter. Look at range of shapes, get chn to find area and perimeter. Move onto compound shapes and area of triangles for MA / HA whilst TA works with LA on teir independent activity.
    For Independent activity, I think I will do the area of triangles for my MA /HA and then push my HA into maybe finding area of parellograms / trapeziums. For my LA I will get them to investigate if the area of a rectangle is ???, then what will perimeters be? Then extension to move them onto compound shapes.
    Plenary: Pitch and Expectations Year 6 Q's to check understanding.