1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 NQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsunnar89, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am starting a year 6 class teacher position as a NQT and as i do not really have solid expereince in this year group, i do feel a bit nervous and lost.
    My class is somewhat challanging and the school is under pressure from the LEA to get better SATs results. I am a hardworking and determined person but i just need advice regarding what i could do to prepare myself and possibly during the course of the year.
    Thanks!
    Reasonable replies will be very much appreciated!

2. Hi,
    I am starting a year 6 class teacher position as a NQT and as i do not really have solid expereince in this year group, i do feel a bit nervous and lost.
    My class is somewhat challanging and the school is under pressure from the LEA to get better SATs results. I am a hardworking and determined person but i just need advice regarding what i could do to prepare myself and possibly during the course of the year.
    Thanks!
    Reasonable replies will be very much appreciated!

3. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Don't panic! Firstly have a bit of faith in yourself. If the school is under pressure to achieve then they must think you are capable otherwise theyd have put in a more experienced teacher and put you somewhere else.
    Unless all you have taught so far is foundation stage then it's really not that different! The same principles apply in my experience and children of 7 are not as different from children of 10 as you'd think!
    The curriculum content and the depth you will need to go into it is the biggest difference, and particularly maths. Get yourself confident with that over summer and you'll feel much better - the rest will sort itself out in time, and I'm sure there are teachers in the school who will be more than happy to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Have a good year [​IMG]

4. Thank you aw27! I have done practices in a Year 1, 4 and 5 class. The school was looking for a NQT to take up a year 6 post as they want someone fresh who would be open to thier changes.
    So over summer i should familarise myself with the depth of teaching that is required for the subjects. Also the orgainsing and prep for SATs, is that something i should already be thinking about?
    Thank you

5. Remember that SAT results are the result of all the teaching throughout primary school, not just year 6. Don't let anybody tell you different!
    As for prep/organisation for SATs ask for help from SMT regarding what should happen when and make sure that you receive your copy of the ARA when it arrives in school.
    Enjoy! Year 6 is a lovely year to have [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't worry at all yet. Certainly don't worry about SATs until at least February, maybe January as it is your first time.

If you have taught year 5 then you will be fine in year 6. Academically it really isn't much different. Spend your summer planning fabulous lessons, not gelling up on knowledge.

They are keen to please and show they are responsible. Get them involved in jobs at lunchtimes (KS1 teachers always need pencils sharpening and the office staff always want messages taken).

Year 6 can think they are 'too mature' but if you are keen and caring then they will be as well. Have a good reading corner with some cool cushions (IKEA is fab if your school doesn't have any) and use it as part of guided reading. Have a carpet area for storytime at the end of the day (year 6 can cope with a fairly long novel) and PSHCE, I use mine for the register as well.

Relax and enjoy it.

Is there more than one year 6 teacher in the school?

7. Thank you for your help. I have a mentor who i could possibly ask regarding the above.

8. Years 3 - 5 are two form and year 6 is a 3 form and i am the only NQT in that year group. As they are moving things around, i wouldnt be able to see my class until September but thank you for the great ideas!
    [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You definitely could!

I'm moving out of year 6 to year 2 (Yippeeeee!!) and will be the mentor for our NQT starting in year 6. Your mentor will also know exactly what is what and is there to help. Ask every silly question you think of, they won't mind at all!

But do relax and enjoy it.

10. Thank you!