1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 NQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flickaz, Apr 20, 2011.

1. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

My year 6's are in school this week for extra sessions in the mornings. I've done my best to make it fun. So far we've watched Shrek (split across 3 days) and used that as a prompt to write a newspaper article about a talking donkey, write a persausive letter to Shrek from Fiona and today we wrote a lonely hearts ad (they could choose from Fiona, Shrek, the donkey or the dragon). In maths we've had a bit of fun. First day we went out in the playground and did some work on area/perimeter using metre sticks and chalk (it's quite tricky to find the area/perimeter of a hopscotch grid when the sections aren't equal!). Yesterday and today we were shopping to a budget. Gave them a list of things needed for a new house and a pile of Argos/Tesco catalogues and sent them shopping. (Good links to reading too as they've had to use the contents/index to find things).
    Aiming to do more of the same in the next 5 days we've got of "actual" school (we're closed for voting and then a teacher training day). I don't see the point in making them do pages and pages of past papers, we've already done that. I want them to relax and remember things now.