1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6- money to spend, can anyone recommend really effective schemes or resources?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lorrpat, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I am going into Year 6 for the first time next year and have a pot of money to spend. Could anyone recommend any really worthwhile and effective schemes or resources they have found worked in Year 6. I would be interested for both Maths and Literacy but especially anything to do with improving writing, grammar and punctuation. The cost is not the issue I just need guidance on what experienced Y6 teachers have tried and found trustworthy! Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. I have only used the literacy ones of these but recommend them whole-heartedly:
    http://www.staeducational.com/stile.htm
    I have one group working on them during guided reading time.
    Other than that it depends what your specific problems are - what I needed was mainly time rather than resources.

3. This won't spend any of your money but, I am a researcher focused on boosting Year 6 performance in all literacy skills viz reading, writing, spelling, grammar and listening skills.I am running a one term project from Sept to Xmas testing the hypothesis that all literacy skills deficits can be turned around in one term.
    If you will let me have your school mailing address, I would be happy to send you the resource pack so that you can make up your mind whether or not to participate. There are no costs and we require no prior test data from you - only a brief report at the end of the project with your views on its effectiveness.
    This offer is open to any any teacher in any primary year group.

4. Not a scheme, but there's some decent pie corbett writing resources - he's written imaginative and clever models for a great variety of genres. Have saved me hours - I used to write oodles of my own. I think 'writing models year 6'.