1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 mini Project: Ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frisbee, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I haven't taught Y6 for years but I've been asked to 'teach' the 10 Y6 children who aren't going on residential while the rest of the class are away for 3 days. They won't be interested in anything that seams like work but their usual class teacher has told me I need to think of something worthwhile, I'm not just babysitting! Any ideas?

2. I haven't taught Y6 for years but I've been asked to 'teach' the 10 Y6 children who aren't going on residential while the rest of the class are away for 3 days. They won't be interested in anything that seams like work but their usual class teacher has told me I need to think of something worthwhile, I'm not just babysitting! Any ideas?

3. we get ours to plan and prepare a lesson for year 4 children about healthy teeth. kids plan using a simplified version of our planning sheets, then they make games,quizzes,presentations and anything that they really can to keep them busy and the year 4's engaged. Talk about differentiation too, plus they can make evaluation sheets for themselves and for the children...

4. Have just used Treasure Island film and made treasure chests from soap tablet boxes, burnt maps and drenched them in tea, wrote a story and used Pivot stick man to do an animation. Very violent! Good luck.

5. I Have some odds and sods sheets to help if you'd like. No proper planning though.

6. cra13

cra13 New commenter

Could you not give them a list of topics and get them to choose what they want to learn about. There will be no planning as it will be child led. The only problem could be the resources. I was going to do this with my class after SATs but the Head gave me another task to do.

7. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Do the Holiday Challenge that's on the TES KS2 resources. I'm going to do it with mine starting tomorrow.

8. Thanks so much for all these great ideas!

9. We did teh same thing with ours left over from residential and did the Pied Piper stuff from Primary Teacher UK - it was absolutely fantastic, the kids were so engaged and it didn't need much preparation from us! Loads of great work for display afterwards!

Here's the link:

http://www.primary-teacher-uk.co.uk/2006/04/pied_piper_of...

(PS we did this for 3 full days and the children didn't even do half of teh tasks!)