1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brfcsc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi everyone. I am new to year 6 and want to get started straight away with English and Maths (especially after reading the advice on here)
    First few maths lessons I want to do Ma1 stuff and especially prooving a statement. I have a couple 'the sum of three consecutive numbvers if always a multpe of three' etc but does anyone have any more to be investigasted? Or a link to a website?
    Regards

2. Investigate the sum of 2 ,3,4, 5,6 etc consecutive numbers. Which totals cannot be made by summing consecutive numbers?
    Which number below 50 has the most factors?
    How many ways can you cut a square in half? (4X4 square, cuts must be along grid lines)
    If 432 is the reverse of 234, what is the difference between any 3 digit number and its reverse? What do these differences have in common?
    I know these are investigations, not challenges to prove a statement, but I find proving a statement is rather a closed (yes/no) activity. I much prefer open investigations. Anyway, you can get a statement from these easily enough ("28 has the most factors of any number under 50", etc)

3. blue_gini

blue_gini New commenter

nrich is an excellent website with a wide variety of investigations.
    Best wishes

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Personally I wouldn't do MA1 type work initially - you need to establish routines and yourself as their class teacher - more mundane work will get them back into the groove of what they know and can do and re-teach them how to work!

5. Does anyone know where you can find solutions to year 5/6 challenges?

6. 'Always, sometimes, never' are a good Ma1 starter - can be used at any stage. Few examples - doubling a number makes it bigger, multiples of five are also multiples of ten, odd x odd = even, odd squared = even, a cube is a box, a regular polygon has the same number of lines of symmetry as sides.
    I tend to put one up on the whiteboard and get the children to discuss and create some proof - the real learning comes through their explanations and cross examinations of each other!

7. thanks Jayne :)

8. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Thanks everyone, some good ideas :)

9. I have set one of three sets in year six and have been asked to consolidate level five work for a term before my twenty or so children embark on level six with a senior leader in January. I am so used to having Abacus, Peak, SPMG at yr 6 level for my upper ability maths set in yr 5; in addition they have done really well in their tests with me (100% level 5 for these twenty odd yr 5 children). Because I have used Abacus 6 (all this year whilst they were in their yr 5) can anyone now advise on fresh material for their use in year 6?

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Yes. Try the ATM bookshop: www.atm.org.uk/.../Primary-Education-Books

One I rather like the look of but haven't yet purchased for the sort of children you are talking about is www.atm.org.uk/.../dis018

I also recommend a very expensive (kidding, it's free) investigations book:

andrewjeffrey.co.uk/freegifts.asp. If you download it be aware that you will be signed up to the newsletter, but you can always unsubscribe.

It is free and comes monthly and often contains some challenging maths to work on. It's at www.facebook.com/.../113168805407966