1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 maths sublevels

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ComputerWizard, May 21, 2012.

1. Before anyone asks, I do know there are no official sub levels but my school likes to give them.
    Could anyone please create sub levels for these?
    <u>2008 MATHS LEVELS KS2</u>
    <font size="3" face="Arial">L4 45-77

L5 78-100
    <u>2009 MATHS LEVELS KS2</u>
    L4 46-76
    L5 77-100
    <u>2010 MATHS LEVELS KS2</u>
    L4 46-78
    L5 79-100
    Thanks a lot :)
    </font>

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

ok I'll bite..........
    call your self a computer wizard?????????????? [​IMG]

3. Wow, you can't do a subtraction, a division and then an addition? What are they teaching kids these days?!?
    cyolba, biting strawbs :)

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

divide by three perhaps, or get excel to do it for you?
    one day we will go back to giving grades such as C+ C- and just a plain C, you never had to explain them to parents!

5. Well thanks for your help -_-

If you're all so amazing, then why don't you tell me how to do it by helping me instead of being sarcastic?

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

They've been telling you

(There's no such thing as a "sub level". If you must present them for whatever management purpose suits whoever, then follow the suggestions given.)

7. If you look at ComputerWizard's post on the Science Forum dated 16 December 2011, he was asking the same sort of question then about Science sub-levels ( and getting the same sort of response) Sounds like a wind-up to me.

8. The standard technique is to look at your targets and fit accordingly.

9. Computer wizard, I can see how it can come across as sarcastic but they are right. In secondary if I am doing a maths assessment that is one level I split it 3 ways a (c) is up-to 33% a (b) is 34-66% and an (a) is 67%+. In science assessments we do the same I work out the percentage and split it across how many sub-levels I have taking into consideration where the levels change. In your case above you can use the same set of sub-levels for the 3 years as guidance as they are so close :

4c: 45 - 55
    4b: 56 - 66
    4a: 67 - 77
    5c:78 - 84
    5b: 85 - 91
    5a: 92 - 100

Hope that is clearer, sometimes we all have mental blocks, I did on this topic for along time.

Just tweak near the boarders as necessary.

10. Thankyou mossdoyle, that's what I needed! And no this is not a windup, I am actually not a teacher. I am trying to help my brother achieve the best possible level in his end of year tests. So I have no experience in this field and I assumed sub-levels because that's how they give them to him at his school!

11. I'm not teaching in the UK so have forgotten about sublevels, so please can you explain to me how you think knowing the sublevels will help him.

12. DM

DM New commenter

Careful marco. I asked the same question and the moderators deleted it.

13. DM

DM New commenter

I would actually like an explanation.
    My post said "Yes because the best way to fatten a pig is to weigh it on increasingly precise scales." That is the exact and complete wording because I retreived it from Google cache.
    It was a twist on a well-known education saying that produces thousands of hits on Google.
    Can anyone see why this should be censored?

[​IMG]

14. Sounds fair enough to me.
    But if there's a good reason perhaps this post will be removed as well?