1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 maths for interview - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunshine114, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if someone out there could help me. I need to teach a mixed ability class of y6 pupils this objective: Solve simple problems involving direct proportion by scaling quantities up or down.'
    Problem is I teach LA maths and we have only just barely touched ratio, let alone applied it to problem solving so am feeling a bit confused! The more I think about it the more of a muddle I am getting in!

Am I right in thinking that direct proportion means to scale up or down following a given ratio? ie, if there were 3 girls to every 2 boys (3:2) the by using direct proportion to scale up then there would be 6:4, and if I had 8 boys then I would have 12 girls (12:8)? Am I right??? Does it matter which way round the numbers go?

I need to get this sorted, as then once I know the basis of what I am actually doing then I can plan a lesson to suit (if anyone has any good ideas please share!)

I really want this job, but am getting in such a muddle with everything getting on top of me at the moment. I've not applied for a job for 5 years so am surprised to get an interview from the first one TBH!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you thought about using recipes - scaling up and down?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Thanks, yeah I'm kind of thinking of using recipes, or maybe easter eggs (keep it topical!)
    I'm just so worried about getting in a fluster!

I'm thinking something along the lines of 4 eggs in 5 are mars bar eggs. If there are 20 children, how many will get mars bar eggs? (16) I would obviously draw on the board to model the eggs and provide the children with counters to use to scale up if they needed it.

It's hard when you don't know their prior knowledge. I guess I have to start off doing a quick ratio activity (ie, draw me something that shows "4 out of 5 shapes are triangles") to check what they actually know, as I guess if they don't understand the ratio part then they can't follow a direct proportion to scale up or down!

5. Right, think I've got it!

Am thinking of getting them up moving around, just to check knowledge of ratio - ie get into groups of 3 girls to 1 boy etc. Draw on the board blah blah etc - need to know they know ration before we can scale up and down following direct proportion.

Then set the scene - need them to help me organise an easter egg hunt for children at my school as I've heard they are really good blah blah blah
    And will get them to work out how many eggs I need using scaling up following direct proportion, less able using counters to support, more able extended by working out the cost (including scaling down).

Fingers crossed, thanks for your help! [​IMG]