1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Maths challenging question from test paper question bank

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sevenseals, Jan 16, 2017.

1. sevenseals

sevenseals New commenter

Given below is a challenging Maths question. Do you think it is suitable for Year 6 students?

“Shawn’s weekly allowance is $11 less than Janet’s. Janet spends $13 less than Shawn every week. Janet spends 7 / 13 of her allowance every week. Shawn saves 1 / 2 as much as Janet every week. How much did Shawn spend after 2 weeks?”

http://www.examinationsolutions.com/sg_free_primary_test_papers/

Question 18 of “P6 Math SA2 2016 Grade AA Mock Exam Test Paper 2 - Word Problems”
    http://www.examinationsolutions.com...ths_sa2_2016_grade_aa_paper2_q18_solution.pdf

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It depends what they've been taught. But for most Y6 in England, having followed the bare basics of the NC. No.

3. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Well, I have just solved it:

Janet's weekly allowance is $104, and Shawn's weekly allowance is £93
    Janet spends $56 every week, and Shawn spends $69 every week
    Therefore Janet saves $48 every week, and Shawn saves $24 dollars every week

After two weeks Shawn did spend $138

I am not posting my working because I am not sure I have taken the shortest route to the answer. However you do it, it involves some fairly hideous simultaneous equations, multiple substitutions, and awkward fractions to distil out a numerical value which you can then plug back in to arrive at the solutions.

This is not Year 6 stuff.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Is it a calculator paper? They could identify that Janet's allowance has to be a multiple of £13 and test some values. Still challenging though - lots of words to interpret.

5. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

True - I just read it as a "construct the algebra to solve this conundrum" type of question. I didn't consider trial and refinement ...

6. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

There is no calculator paper anymore

8. sevenseals

sevenseals New commenter

Thanks for the feedback. Agree that it is not suitable for Year 6 in UK as "There is no calculator paper anymore".