1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 London trip. Supervision issues

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lisa54321, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

This year we are taking our year 6 class (37 kids) to London and are staying the night in a hotel with them. We have ran this trip every year since 2014. I am the lead teacher but this year following various meetings with the head he has informed us that we need to improve how we supervise the children at night in the hotel. The Head has not suggested how. How can we supervise them when they are all in their hotel rooms at night?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

You're very brave - I can't imagine staying in a London hotel with our Year 6!
    Short of staying up all night and patrolling the rooms with a master key, I'm not sure what you can do - perhaps you need to ask your Head exactly what they have in mind?
    Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's the only thing that comes to my mind too, ask the head why he thinks supervision needs to be improved and what he thinks you should do.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Perhaps the head should accompany this year's trip to demonstrate how he thinks children should be supervised at night. If he is not willing/able to do this, he needs to provide some guidelines that you can all discuss.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Tee hee.

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Staff are going to have to pull shifts through the night by the sounds of it.

He needs to be clearer about what he wants in terms of supervision. Sounds unreasonable. Is he trying to find reasons to avoid running the residential next year perhaps?

7. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

Thanks for your reply everyone. Each year since 2014 we have took year 6 on a coach to London. On the first day we walk around near Westminster downing street and over Westminster bridge. We then ride London eye. We then get on the coach to the hotel

8. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

How would you guys supervise in the hotel? And we have our evening at planet Hollywood and then watch a west end show.

9. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

Everything we do on the London trip is as follows:
    Day 1:

Leave warrington on a coach for London at 6am. Stop at a motorway services on the way.

Arrive in London around midday walk round near Westminster and downing street then go on the London eye then to the hotel then to planet Hollywood for our evening meal. Then to a threate to watch a west end show.

10. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

Day2:

We go on a guided tour around London then have lunch at kensigton gardens and then go on the coach to the natural history museum and after that we go back to warrington on a coach and stop at a services for tea on the way back. We usually arrive back at school for around 9:30pm. The whole of the year y team go which is 6 staff and the 7th member of staff is the deputy head of the school. My job is the head of year 6 and a teacher and the trip leader.

11. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

Has anyone got any further suggestions for how we can supervise them in the hotel?

12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

What is the exact concern? Why has it changed this year? Has something happened? Have you not given clear detail to the Head?
    Are concerns:
    Other hotel users?
    Children leaving rooms?
    What goes on inside the rooms?
    Active supervision?

Surely it’s the same for all residentials?
    What risks have you assessed? What’s the placement of rooms? Have you done a recky?
    Risk assessment taking account of:
    Strategic groupings of children;
    Splitting adult rooms amongst children’s;
    Corridor patrol / supervision of door throughout the night- staff rota;
    Ability to enter room, if need be- adults have the door key cards and not the children;
    Adults not drinking alcohol.

Can you talk to hotel regarding cctv? Are you in a separate section? Can you be at one end of a corridor? How many children in each room? Are the rooms interjoining?

To be honest, and I might sound a bit unhelpful after trying to be above, but it sounds a bit of a jolly for the adults- only one museum and all fun/ social - show, nice meal, London Eye, tour. 7 staff for 37 Y6 children is a very high ratio so it makes any supervision plans easier. Is this what the Head is thinking? He/she needs to be seen to be above scrutiny in releasing 7 staff and agreeing to such a social itinerary? It’s not the standard active PGL Y6 trip.

13. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. It is not a jolly for the adults it is a treat for the children before they leave for high school and because they have had their SATS. The head has not said why it needs to be changed this year but his concerns are the children leaving rooms. Each room is shared by 2 children. The rooms are always all next to each other. We currently supervise by standing on the corridor for the first 2/3 hours and the going to our rooms. Us staff do NOT drink alcohol on the trip. How would you supervise if you was in the hotel with year 6?

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You are joking! Have you ever taken year 6 children to London, it's like herding cats! I used to go every year. Most of them have never been on a train, let alone the underground, escalators are a new experience for many and they panic at the crowds! You need high levels of supervision, children unaccustomed to London are a very different kettle of fish to those that are used to the city-most of mine thought a small market town was a new experience!
    A year 6 trip to London is a standard end of school trip-not everyone wants to go to PGL!

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think you need to talk to the hotel. If they accommodate you all on the same corridor, that's a good start, and it sounds as if your supervision for the time you are awake is sufficient. The worry is presumably after that. Does the hotel have CCTV in the corridors? Does it have reception staff on duty all night? If so, then would it be enough for them to be keeping a particular eye on that corridor, ready to ring the trip leader's room if anyone comes out of a room? (It's faintly possible that they might be able to alarm the door to that corridor once you're in, in which case things are easier.)
    If not, then yes, you might be looking at shifts sitting in the corridor, if the head is worried.

It's difiicult, because the chances of them leaving their rooms is very small, assuming that they are en-suite, that they are told what to do if someone is taken ill in the night, etc, but if anything did happen, staying up half the night would (in hindsight) seem a small price to pay.

16. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Yes I’ve taken 60 Y2s to London on public transport- train then tube then walk. I’ve also taken Y5 and Y6 to London. All of whom had never been on a train or tube before. The Y5 and Y6 children had not even been into their own city’s centre.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

I agree with the supervision through the night. I doubt I'd be able to sleep anyway! Like others have said, it's small price to pay if there is even a minor emergency. I've been on many residential trips and there's always some problem or other, especially at night! I hate to say it, but you should also make sure you include a disaster plan as part of your risk assessment; my school were once on a day trip to London when there was a terror incident. All were fine and were not directly caught up in it but it caused massive anxiety. Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. jonnym6

jonnym6 New commenter

On residential we will tend to take it in turns to supervise the corridor to make sure all children are quiet and settled up to they all are (normally 11-12). Our rooms are alongside the children so can listen out for any issues. This is different to yours though as we are not mixing with the general public on these trips. I have done that in the past (long time ago) - I would have to check carefully the room arrangements to see if the children are all together in a corridor etc to see how I would supervise it. If children are split then I would make sure staff are on corridors where they are and are slept in rooms alongside.

19. CalF123

CalF123 New commenter

I'm a deputy head and tbh I think you need more supervision. There really should be at least one(ideally two) staff member(s) on 'corridor patrol'. Ok, maybe not needed at 4 am, but at least during the night.

20. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

You can't be supervising the whole night - even teachers need sleep! I'd say it's reasonable to expect to supervise until about midnight, but after that surely the staff should be able to go to bed. If there's an emergency of some sort I would expect that somebody would come out of their room to tell a member of staff. You wouldn't be supervising the whole night by popping constantly into their rooms anyway so what's the difference if there is a knackered member of staff in the corridor or one asleep in their own bedroom who gets woken up by a child knocking at the door?