1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 6 literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Oct 28, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi Year 6'ers out there! I just wanted to ask about your literacy planning - specifically linked to narrative. Is it acceptable to have lessons in this unit where the children literally just 'read'? Read and discuss the text with a partner? Am I right in thinking this is good practise for SATs reading? I'm all new to Year 6 with no year partner and just wanted to check....and get it right! Thank you :)

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't see a probelm with the children reading and discussing what they have read. Hell, sometimes it's just great to read. I read to them, they read to me, we all read together.

It is an essential skill and it will help them become better readers as well as helping for SATs.

We sometimes used past SATs papers in lessons. I will pair the children up (mixed ability, but me deciding who I think will work well together) and have them complete a paper. The next lesson we go through the mark scheme - I put it up on the board for all to see. It helps the children understand how to look for key information and how to answer questions in a detailed way.

There will be some teachers that like to have everything ticked off with the right WALT, WILF, LO, success criteria etc. but if you're comfortable then just go with it.

3. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Thanks Milgod - you sound like you know your stuff! I'm completely new to y6 - having come up from Year 1!!!! So a very big learning curve!! At what point would you really start getting the SATs prep in place? I have heard that you can wait until Christmas is done? I'm also on the look out for a kind of 'check list' I suppose, which would show what other Year 6 teachers do/prioritise in the run up to SATs. Any hints or tips? Thanks again.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Everyone is different. Some wait until the last couple of weeks. Some schools spend pretty much the whole Spring Term 'revising'. We have Practice SATs weeks three times a year. November, Feb and April. They run just like the normal week does. It is a lot of marking, but worth it IMO. This is the only 'formal' SATs work we do. I like dotting it around as it doesn't push too much on the class at once.
    I will try and post more later/on the weekend about what we do. Got to go.