1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Literacy, starting the year with a book study....Goodnight Mr Tom.. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggles, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I haven't done this before. I am thinking about starting the year doing a book study in Literacy. Our topic is Britain since 1930 and I want to use the book Goodnight Mr Tom to cover many different genres of writing. Has anyone done this before?

2. I haven't done this before. I am thinking about starting the year doing a book study in Literacy. Our topic is Britain since 1930 and I want to use the book Goodnight Mr Tom to cover many different genres of writing. Has anyone done this before?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Haven't you posted about this in another thread?
    I've used the book before and indeed will be starting this year with it.
    The book can be explored through extensive drama and roleplay, booktalk, art, character analysis and setting analysis and provides lots of opportunity for writing recounts in role/diary writing/letter writing/journalistic writing/playscripts/debate/instructional writing (eg. how to build a bomb shelter) and probably a few genres too.
    We'll be covering some of the above but focussing on narrative in role/recount, with one or two others as we see fit/the children's needs dictate.
    I assume you've read the book already? Should be clear on where the above genres will fit in.
    Broadly speaking, we'll be reading the book together as a class reader, with certain chapters photocopied and used for guided reading. Following class reading sessions, English sessions will then be focussed on a chosen learning objective related to the chapter(s) read, with objectives being related to things such as the reading element: character/setting analysis, retelling, use of drama to explore character feelings/inference; word and sentence level objectives (to be decided upon when I know the children's needs a bit better!); and text level objectives relating to whichever genres of writing we do as we progress through the book.
    And then we'll watch the film and compare at the end - providing more writing opportunities as well!

4. Are you allowed to watch the film? It is PG rated and all the primary schools I've worked in have only been allowed to show a U rated film.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

With parental permission, you can watch a PG. The clue is in the words "Parental Guidance".