1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Leavers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hmorris, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I have taught my current Year 6 class since they were in Year 5 and want to give them a really good send off in July. I realise that the end of the school year seems along way away, but if we are to perform a production, we need to get cracking after SATs. Does anyone have any gret ideas for leavers' assemblies/musical productions or Leavers' year books. i.e. what to include and how long it takes to produce.

All advice will be greatly received.

2. I have taught my current Year 6 class since they were in Year 5 and want to give them a really good send off in July. I realise that the end of the school year seems along way away, but if we are to perform a production, we need to get cracking after SATs. Does anyone have any gret ideas for leavers' assemblies/musical productions or Leavers' year books. i.e. what to include and how long it takes to produce.

All advice will be greatly received.

3. a head teacher from a school came to give us a lecture at university and he or someone at their school had made a photo story of pics of the children since they were in reception and added music etc to it. it shbowed all their achievements

the school gave them each a cd with that on it and it looked like a brill thing for them to look back on

4. Really like the photo story idea. Was each CD personal to the individual child or was it a collective class compilation of achievement?

5. Anybody got any great ideas for a song for a year 6 leavers assembly?

6. I did the photostory thing last year and it went down really well. I used Boyzone 'No Matter What' with the pictures and both kids and parents liked it. The mums all cried, so I count that as a success!

Also did a leavers assembly set 40 years in the future when small groups of the class meet up on a park bench, talk over old times and then say what they have done with their lives. Class all dressed up as old folk and added a small comedy sketch, i.e watching a match with grandchildren playing in it, walking the dog, reading paper over shoulder etc, you get the idea, before they suddenly recognised each other. Took a bit of rehearsing, but worth the time.
    Another time the class wrote a rap about the staff and the school as their song for the leavers assembly, a bit cheeky, but so it should be I think.

7. Hi there,

Really like the sound of your comedy sketch about a group of old people. Do you have a copy of you script? would be great to use it as a starting point!

Thanks

dx

My e-mail is: debsladybird@yahoo.ie

8. Take That's song I can't remember the name but I think its 'Never forget'. Always has all the parents in tears. You could also steal the grease one 'we go together...'

9. "reach for the stars" - a standby in some schools.

10. Last year I made my children a Cd rom of lots of pics i had taken in the classroom, sports day, residential etc and put them into a slide show using windows movie maker
    i included pics of staff and a soundtrack which included time to say goodbye by sarah brightman, time of my life by green day

I gave a copy to each child - i had many thanks from children and parents who all confessed to crying after watching it as the last few frames was picturs of the whole class saying going ... going... and then just empty benches saying gone!!! lovely i still watch my copy every now and again.

11. i taught my year 6 class the song good riddance time of ur life by grren day and they sang it at the leavers assembly!!

Lyrics include

another turning point a fork stuck in the road
    time grabs you by the hand directs u where to go
    i think its unpredictable but in the end its right - I hope u had the time of ur life!!

Its poignant and its a band all the year sixes love!!

12. sorry lol remembering more!!!

this used to be my playground my madonna
    remember the time by michael jackson

The theme tune from mahogany by diana ross - i am only 25 but this was playeed during slide shows when i was in juniors - all my old schiool friends remember it! The lyrics are - do u know where ur going to? do u like the things that life is showing u? where are u going to ? do u know??? nice!!!

13. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I've been working with the year 6 on a PSHE theme of 'Falling out and getting on'. They have also worked alongside y1 on the same topic who are performing Buzz off Billy Bee. Y6 have made the costumes, background scenery and helped with dancing, so I wanted them to finish with a whole class dance themselves.

Working on this theme [and with the introduction of our new friendship stop in the playground] the dance starts off with them singing and dancing to Carol King's [Tapestry] 'You've got a friend' just the first bit. It then goes straight on to the Grease song 'We go together'. it's coming along nicely and they will also perform it at their leavers assembly.

It took a bit of fiddling about in audacity to cut and paste bits of songs together but it worked.

14. microsoft photo story does a cracking job for photo presentation- much easier than moviemaker and fancier than ppt

15. what about basing it on that friends reunited advert where they focus on a child and say shes a party animal etc. Maybe show kids advert, its funny as obviously they are done to be unlikely futures but then get kids to really think what they'd like to be and for this think they need lots and lots of input suggestions so can all have high expectations. This video could make a good starting point for the other drama mentioned about them meeting up as older people

16. All these ideas sound really good but I've only got 8 children in year 6. I want to do something for leavers assembly but not sure what to do with such a small group. They like music and dancing (nothing with too much co-cordination though)so could do something involving this. Please, please help as we need to start practising NOW.

Thanks

17. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Dear Angelina Jolie,
    Where can I get Microsoft Photo Story? It sounds exactly what I need. Thanks.

18. I'm in exactly the same boat this as have taught my chn for two years too.
    Used this assembly "Goodbye My Friends" a few years ago and it brought the house down and boy did the tears roll
    http://www.magicparrot.com/page18.html

We're moving our leavers assembly to th Friday before term ends to make it more of a celecration than a sobbing time. We'll have a bbq and games on field after school.

19. I've used
    Proud
    and the world's greatest (R Kelly)
    last year i used the theme from friends - the year 6's really liked this
    Hope this helps.
    (i'm searching out mine)
    Our music festival used:
    Believe by Lin Marsh

It's a real tear-jerker and i will definately use it.

I can do anything i want
    I can climb the tallest mountain etc. .....

If i just believe in me.
    accompany it with photos of friends and baby photos!
    hope this helps.
    If i just believe in me.

20. anyone has any ideas for just 6 children?