1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 leavers - will you be in tears or will they?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dodgeball, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Some of the children seem to be almost distraught on the last day, and there are parents weeping and wailing in the playground.
    Teachers - happy or sad to see them go?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

After the day I've had, I think I'd be really happy if about a third of them caught a contagious disease and so couldn't come back for the rest of term! (Nothing serious or fatal, just enough to keep them at home.)

Sad yes, hopefully not crying though.

But soooooo excited about next year that I can't really be sad that this one is ending.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Children will be happy and sad in equal measures-which is as it should be.
    I will be in tears! The year 6's I am teaching now were my very first reception class when I started teaching and I have taught them for 5 out of the seven years they have spent in school. So I will be very sad to see them go[​IMG]

4. oh yes, i can see that you would be really sad after watching them grow up for all those years!

5. Happppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mind you, my current year 5's ( who I will have next year too) are almost a lovely (and I've taught them for 4 years already,) so another year with them will be great!)

7. Has it been a dreadful year for you then???!!!!

8. Yes ! I have had the worst year as far as moaning and critical parents, that I'm almost at breaking point! It seems they all gather on the playground - discuss, moan, b*tch etc...
    Two parents in particular, who just don't stop emailing the school demanding this, demanding that...
    The year end couldn't come any sooner for me (and the head I'm sure!)

9. oh dear! Mind you I think those type of parents can be found in all schools.

We have a couple, "why wasn't my johnny picked for this sports event"school play/music festival/outing"
    On the other hand, you have the parents who are so over involved in everything to do with the school, they are invited in for special events and always present at the pta, Organising events etc. Almost on the staff types. Usually their child is a little**** !!!!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now the OP didn't ask about parents!!

I'll be weeping with joy at seeing the back of a few of mine! Children are generally nice though.

11. hah, yes it was about the children initially, but, yes if it's the parents you are glad to see the back off, then let's hear all about it!!

12. Will be sad to see them go as usual but I never cry. We try to keep the leaving an upbeat thing about the future rather than a sombre occasion.

13. Do I worry if none of them cry? Most year groups are in floods, I've seen a few year groups go through but last year's didn't shed a tear at all. Not sure why not. Is this unusual?

14. I think some years the children are just tougher than others. Some are more mature and just want to leave and get on with the next stage of life.

Some cannot bear their teacher!

15. Cry? Me? Can't wait to see the back of the little blighters! Doubt there'll be many tears from them though either!

16. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

Glad to see the back of them here too, most of them hard work and their parents - God help the high school.

17. Lou205 I am with you! Time for someone else to have the pleasure of them...[​IMG]

18. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I always cry [​IMG]

19. I always cry!! But normally when they have left and I go back into the empty classroom.

20. For me it depends entirely on the music/ song they are singing.
    Some years i can be dispassionately dried eyed and other years I will weep before the music even comes on. [​IMG]