1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Leavers Prayers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by selectsian, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I have never been in Y6 at this time of year before, have plenty of ideas for the Assembly (well other staff members do!) But we have to go to church and do a few Bible readings, I don't have a clue where you start looking, anyone got a few prayers I could borrow on anything about moving forward, friends etc? Please? Thank you x

2. I have never been in Y6 at this time of year before, have plenty of ideas for the Assembly (well other staff members do!) But we have to go to church and do a few Bible readings, I don't have a clue where you start looking, anyone got a few prayers I could borrow on anything about moving forward, friends etc? Please? Thank you x

3. Prayers or Bible readings...

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We always pick our most erudite Year 6 to deliver the Celtic Blessing at the end of the service, and the parents are always sniffing in their hankies..... then all the leavers walk to the back of the church in single file. Never fails.

Celtic Blessings and Prayers
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face;
    the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

traditional gaelic blessing

5. Oooh great! Thank you. I feel a bit emotional already!

6. You can use/adapt some of ours if you like:
    Prayers for leaver's service
    Dear God
    As we look forward to starting our new schools in September, we pray for your help to make new friends and get on well with our new teachers.
    We ask you for courage and strength in new situations.
    Help us to work hard in all that we do and enjoy the new experiences that secondary school will bring.
    Amen

Dear God
    We thank you for the happy times we have had at (name of your school). For the fun times we have had playing games on our field in summer, for the sports days, fairs and school productions. We thank you for the fun school trips we have experienced and the interesting visitors we have met.
    We thank you for the teachers and staff who have worked with us over the years, who have prepared us to move onto secondary school with confidence.
    Amen

Dear God
    We thank you for our friends at (name at your school) who have cared for us, helped us with our work and shared our troubles. As we venture off in different directions, help us not to feel sad, but to remember the good times we have shared together.
    Help us as we move to new schools, to make new friends and be happy.
    Amen