1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Leavers Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hullabaloo2007, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Hi (posted this on personal as well) - planning well in advance I know, but can anyone think of some songs for the year sixes to sing at their leavers assembly? Ones that deal with looking back having a good time etc. So far, managed to think of:

Green Day - The Time of Your Life
    Take That - Never Forget
    The Sound of Music - (the Goodbye, Farewell one)
    (maybe) Queen - Don't Stop me Now

Any other thoughts kindly welcomed.

Thanks

2. Hi (posted this on personal as well) - planning well in advance I know, but can anyone think of some songs for the year sixes to sing at their leavers assembly? Ones that deal with looking back having a good time etc. So far, managed to think of:

Green Day - The Time of Your Life
    Take That - Never Forget
    The Sound of Music - (the Goodbye, Farewell one)
    (maybe) Queen - Don't Stop me Now

Any other thoughts kindly welcomed.

Thanks

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Every time we say goodbye always gets me.
    And Robbie Williams did a very suitable version.

4. Who sang the original?

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Cole Porter I believe.
    Most famous version is probably Ella Fitzgerald's.
    Also been done by Simply Red (eurgh!), Nina Simone, Carly Simon & Robbie among others

6. Keane - Everybody's Changing

7. One of my class suggested,"I've had the time of my life," and then they sang the second line,"and I owe it all to you."
    And changed their minds.What fun.
    The next suggestion was "Here I go again on my own,walking down the only street I've ever known."
    We didn't use that either!
    I was also leaving and the lovely souls wrote their own version of "I'm leaving on a jetplane"
    I might cry.

8. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

We always sing 'one more step along the way I go'.

9. We did Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" last year. You will need to amend a few of the lyrics for it to be suitable for children to sing. It went down a storm. Enjoyed by parents and children.

Another good one: Don't Stop, Never Give Up... (SClub?)

10. After studying World War 2 in history, my daughter's teacher chose "We'll meet again" and we all sobbed buckets, including the children.

11. We sang 'we go together' from Grease last year and had all the parents join in. The class absolutely loved it. :)

12. We always include 'You shall go out with joy' at the end and have the children leave the church while everyone is still singing.

13. Just out of interest, as it is my first year in 6, what else do you include in your leavers assemblies?

14. One of my favourite songs for a leavers assembly is Proud by Heather Small from M People.

15. I'm going to do it in the style of a staged quiz show this year, with 4 teams 'competing' to win the star prize. The quiz questions will be based on sketches the other kids from the year are performing about their most memorable events from year 6 i.e. trips, SATs, teachers leaving etc. Also going to sing songs that should make the parents cry! During the songs, going to put Powerpoint slide show up of the kids in their friendship groups/classes, looking really happy. And one dance routine which I'm tempted to do to Grease, 'We Go Together', which should be fairly amusing!

16. Just a hint for those of you showing photos. I used photostory from microsoft(free download) You can attatch music - the way that it shows the photos is really cool

17. Thanks for that tip bradpittswife - I've just played for ages, such a simple program and it's free!

18. Fab ideas for Year 6 leavers assemblies - any more great ideas out there that people have done before? This is my first year as a Year 6 teacher too, and I want to make it one to remember.

19. I've seen children sing 'Memory' from Cats too, that was quite a tear jerker.

I found an assembly called 'Crossing the Bridge' on the primary resources website and we sang The Beatles 'Hello Goodbye'.

20. Have heard penny lane by the beatles sung with the penny lane bit replaced by the school name, had the audience, staff and kids in floods of tears.