1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 itis!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, May 19, 2014.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Small school, 12 year 6's with 50% of them misbehaving. Misbehavng in our terms is in no way as bad as in many other schools but it is bad in terms of our school. We have worked with them to write their own behaviour charter - last week and the 50% totally ignored it today. A lot of it is low level disruption, general silliness, name calling, and the major one - lack of respect for some adults.

Ideas please?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Did the charter include consequences of not complying?

If so, implement them every time.

If not, draw them up . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Excellent advice TheoGriff - nothing more to add!

4. Thanks - we did a charter but will now spend a further session linking it to sanctions/consequences.

5. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

You have my sympathy - I experienced it some years. Agree with previous posts ; consistent consequences vital.

6. Get the children to draw up the consequences. You'll be surprised how harsh (but fair) they can be.

7. In addition to the great advice above... Give them something to do. The end of year 6 is hard, they have worked hard and are ready to let off steam. I embark on a rather ambitious musical and focus all their other work around this. They have to work so hard to get the show ready for audiences that they are structured and on a tight leash until July :)