1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Investigation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by willettsm, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am looking for a really good year 6 Maths invstigation. I would like it to be accessible for all abilities and to be a practical and fun activity. It can be based on any of the numeracy strands. Any good ideas?
    Many thanks,
    Mandy

2. Hello,
    I am looking for a really good year 6 Maths invstigation. I would like it to be accessible for all abilities and to be a practical and fun activity. It can be based on any of the numeracy strands. Any good ideas?
    Many thanks,
    Mandy

3. Hi Mandy
    What are you looking to achieve with your activity?

4. I would like the children to have lots of discussion about reasoning for trying methods out. I would prefer it to be open ended so the children can explore several ideas. Eg: maybe something to do with perimeter and area? 'How many different perimeters can you create with 5 squares?' However, this lesson is for an observation so i would love it to be new and exciting!
    Thanks for your response.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

How about - Does doubling area means perimeter doubles? Is that always, sometimes or never true?
    If it is true explain why, if not, why not.

6. John Mason did a brilliant presentation of activities and thinking along those lines at his plenary to the ATM conference in 2008. I know he did publish the resources but I can't find them on his site. Perhaps they are gone? =(

7. A lesson observation should be that, an observation of your teaching based on where you are in the SOW(scheme of work) (assuming this is not for an interview?)
    Jumping to a manufactured lesson for an observation IMO is not meeting the needs of pupils.
    Find where you are in the SOW and teach a lesson that is engaging and progressive rather thn a circus act.
    So where are you in the SOW? What are your goals for the kids and what are the outcomes you want? have you looked at their levels and what outcomes fit in with that?
    Having this info shapes the lesson and observations get no better grades for kids running around having fun