1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 interview - help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cmcmeekan, May 7, 2012.

1. Am suffering from lesson writers block at the moment. All i was told was a 30 mins (and it is stressed strongly that is the max) teaching literacy to a year 6 class. after ringing to find out how many and levels was told that most level 4 and a couple level 3 and 5. i have lots of lessons could do but with time limit and being interview lesson rather than a proper lesson my brain has gone into meltdown.
    opinion on this please - i have a grid of simple, compound and complex sentences based on goldilocks and 3 bears giving information on who really ate the porridge (not the story written out) e.g golilocks has a brother, brownmop and baby bear meet up every day after school to play and eat porridge. its their secret, baby bear is very naughty etc...
    was wondering if to do an activity based on sorting the sentences (pre cut out) into simple, compound, complex piles and or base it on inference/deduction skills with having to back up their opinion with evidence from the text with them deciding who actually ate the porridge.

2. Sounds a fun activity; the class will enjoy it. Just make sure you hold in the forefront of your mind what it is that you are teaching them to do and model it before you get the children to do it, otherwise it's just a 'nice' activity. Model the compound/ complex bit first. Then they sort. As part of your plenary, you could ask the children in groups to put forward who they think ate the porridge - and present it in a complex sentence! Good luck x

3. To be quite honest, my class (who aren't even the most streetwise of groups) would look down on fairy tale work. They'd consider it babyish and probably not react overly well to you, even though you would not giving them the traditional children's version.
    There are a few of mine who are enjoying Alex Flinn's versions of fairy stories but most are currently obsessed with the Hunger Games and the young teenage type books. They want to feel grown up with their reading materials.
    Also, unless it's this week, please bear in mind that they'll be in the post sats comedown and your behaviour management might have to be stronger than usual as they'll feel the pressure is off.
    Hope this doesn't come across as too negative

4. We've just done a debate unit using the guardian's 3 pigs advert. I'm fairly inner city, and the kids most certainly ARE streetwise. IT went down well. Maybe make sure the sentences intimate some criminal undertones that they will enjoy exploring, or give some characters suspicious alibis?

5. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I would never go into simple, compound, complex sentences. Y6 need to know how to write them yes, but that doesn't mean they need to name and sort them. Most of them will shut off in the first five minutes. If you want to do something with sentences I'd go down the Alan Peat exciting sentences route. Mine love it and although we've only looked at a few, they've quickly started cropping up in Big Writes.

nlatif01 likes this.