1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 interview EAL/Low ability

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mercutio672, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mercutio672

mercutio672 New commenter

I have just been invited to interview next week for a post to teach a class of year 6 children. The class is a specially created group for the low achievers at the school so there is a high proportion of EAL and children with Level 3 and below. I have been asked to teach literacy for half an hour and their topic at the moment is pirates. I was wondering if anyone had any lesson ideas for this type of class as it goes without saying that they need some good class management too. Any input would be much appreciated!

2. invincible

invincible New commenter

Sorry I have no lesson idea for you here. I just wanted to say that I find it sad that EALs are dumped in with low achievers. Unless their cognitive abilities have been assessed as such as far as possible.

3. I have two interviews too, so know how you are feeling! For half an hour I would probably stick to speaking and listening activities, maybe with corners of the room for sorting activities afterwards? Maybe read a story and ask them to sort themselves according to their understanding of the characters etc...

With regards to EAL, I haven't done much so I'm out on that one! sorry!

Good luck!!

4. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

Could you use a short film clip? Found this one on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLSGdX1XpcY Not all suitable and dialogue not great but could you watch with no sound. Ch could work in small groups and focus on 1 thing in the clip eg ask 1 group to think about where and when (time of day, season) the action was happening, another group to think about the character (who was he? how did he get there?), a 3rd group to think about how the character was feeling, a 4th group to think about the sounds that are missing from the film (as you have the sound off!). Print off these as focus questions to give each group. Whilst watching the clip they can jot down ideas on whiteboards. Discuss in their group at the end and as a group nominate 1 person to feed back to rest of the class. Emphasis on group working skills?
    Then focus on what might happen next. Could use storyboarding or drama activity?
    Or maybe this dialogue-free animated short could inspire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbMoI4P3Mg&feature=related
    Not sure if this is of any help!

5. mercutio672

mercutio672 New commenter

Thanks to all. If the EAL were shoved in the class just because they were EAL then I would agree, but I don't believe that to be the case. I shall take the advice and use it well.

6. I am an HLTA and work with EAL and lower achievers so I would do something practical. Perhaps making a sandwich and verbally say instructions. You could demonstrate what you need so children are learning new vocab, then ask the children to tell you what to do. To get the imperitive verbs embedded you could do a starter where the children have to do what you ask. 'Sit' 'stand' 'jump' 'jog' 'clap' 'wink' etc. This will help the EAL children and also your level 3s will benefit from learning what a 'bossy verb' is.
    Children to tell you what to do to make the sandwich getting in time connectives First, next, afterthat, finally etc. then children to pair off with bread, sandwich filling and one tells the other what to do to make the sandwich.
    Found this funny Mr Bean clip on making a sandwich...great because there are no words, might be useful but I do realise you would be pressed for time with all that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS1ePEZZCDY

7. Missed the bit about pirates...making a fruit kebab? Instructions to find treasure?