1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 intervention

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SmileySmiley, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Iv'e been asked at very short notice to teach Year 6 interventions on a Friday afternoon.
    I will have 2 groups for around an hour each. Group 1 is 6 children. 3 at 2b and 3 at 2a.
    Group 2 is 12 children 4 at 3c and 8 at 3b.
    I don't know where to start to be honest. I've not had a chance to meet the children or talk with thier teachers. I will use the springboard stuff eventually but want to identify gaps 1st so I can fill these in...but what do I do for the 1st session? I won't have an IWB (but could possibly have laptops).
    Any ideas for a starting point? Never taught year 6 but am currently in year 3 where the children are at these levels!
    Doodles

2. Iv'e been asked at very short notice to teach Year 6 interventions on a Friday afternoon.
    I will have 2 groups for around an hour each. Group 1 is 6 children. 3 at 2b and 3 at 2a.
    Group 2 is 12 children 4 at 3c and 8 at 3b.
    I don't know where to start to be honest. I've not had a chance to meet the children or talk with thier teachers. I will use the springboard stuff eventually but want to identify gaps 1st so I can fill these in...but what do I do for the 1st session? I won't have an IWB (but could possibly have laptops).
    Any ideas for a starting point? Never taught year 6 but am currently in year 3 where the children are at these levels!
    Doodles

3. Ask the class teacher for current assessment details. Can you get hold of previous SATs papers (optionals)? I would use the Overcoming Barriers materials (Level 2-3 and level 3-4).

4. ...or you could use the Wave 3 materials. These would help you identify gaps in your first session, give you activity ideas to cover in later sessions and learning check activities to see if they'd got it.

5. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

There is also an 'Essential Skills' publication by the DFES (might be available on the achives) which said about the skills that children MUST have. It might be helpful as a check list to help with identifying the gaps.