1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 - Imperial Measures?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I actually teach Year 5, but would like to introduce some to Imperial measures to my top set. Can any Year 6 teachers give me a quick break down of Year 6 expectations? I am assuming they get taught oz to the lb etc and then the Metric/Imperial conversions?
    Ta

2. They need to know basic conversions. What is bigger, a litre or a pint? A metre or a yard? A cm or an inch? A mile or a km?
    I have never taught this in great detail. I wouldn't go as far as teaching how many oz in a lb, or how many yards in a mile. I usually teach it through conversion graphs and reading scales.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

as an older person i often have to work with both
    myself personally i just imagine a yard as a small amount less than a metre (3ft3in in a metre0
    1cm is approximately an inch
    litre and pints get me occasionally but id sooner have a pint to a litre
    weights kilo is heavier than 2 pound( 2.2 lbs actually)
    maybe the kids can approximate this? by weighing and guessing

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

From Year 6 Block C of the framework:
    <font size="2" face="Arial">They read metric and imperial units from measuring scales that show
    both units or from conversion graphs; for example, they convert distances in
    metres in long-distance track events to distances in miles.</font>

</font>
    <font size="2" face="Arial"></font>

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Personally I think we should not teach it. It's an anachronism and will never go away unless less people are exposed to it.
    The only possible useful one is km and miles. The idea of proportion though (1m = 1.6 km, 2 m = 3.2km) is actually a hard concept for young children and is not covered in depth till about year 8 at secondary school.
    Unfortunately schools and families are out of synch. Science uses metric units - kg, mls, cm but parents are more likely to use stones and feet. I do tutoring and when I cover this topic, most children know their weight in stone (roughly) and height in feet. It's confusing having two systems.
    And no - you wouldn't have to have 540 mls instead of a pint (or is it less than that?). You could have 1/2 litre.
    Somehow though, I don't think it will change for a long time.
    Robyn, 165 cm, 65kg and proud of it!

6. It's all very well saying that we shouldn't teach it, but unfortunately the National Curriculum states that children should 'know the rough metric equivalents of imperial units still in daily use'. So, we have to!

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

It's actually just under 3cm to the inch. I think it's very useful still. It's part of everyday life.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Only following orders eh[​IMG]
    Still in daily use .... well the supermarkets use kg, milk is sold in litres, petrol is sold in litres
    Suppose children need to know miles and km - but then again we use miles and only tend to use km if we go abroad. Inches - interesting, daily use? Who by?
    Pints - well children don't get exposed to pints until they go to a pub.
    I'm a big fan of metric measurements [​IMG]

10. Haha[​IMG]...the last thing I do is follow orders, but I do follow what is on the NC. It's sort of a requirement.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think there are a lot of things on the NC that don't get covered[​IMG] It is a fascinating read though - got a copy, along with a zillion other strategies, frameworks etc.
    I do the rough ones - an inch is 2.5cm, a foot - 30cm, 1 metre = 3 ft
    I can do 1 mile = 1.5 / 1.6km.
    Never have to work with lbs, ounces and stones. I just know my weight is 9 1/2 stone - about 65kg.
    Don't really need to know pints - I know a pint is about 1/2 litre.

12. Inches are clearly in everyday use by anyone over the age of 35. Perhaps we'll have to wait until we all die out before we can stop including it on the Curriculum?

13. Blimey - really!? The NC isn't at all the same as the 'other strategies and frameworks' you mention is it though? In the sense that it's a LEGAL requirement! - the ONLY legal requirement - in terms of what schools teach.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do you think every objective in the NC gets taught in primary school? Geography, history, science, music, art, DT? Do you know exactly what was covered in the years before you and will be covered in the years after you?
    I'm not saying don't teach Imperial measures - it's there and a fact of life. But I very much doubt, even in the world of long term plans, medium and short term plans, that a child gets taught the whole NC over their primary school life.
    (Apologies to the OP as off topic)

15. As I am the OP, you needn't apologise.
    I know every objective in the NC is taught at my school, because my SMT make sure it does. It's pretty worrying if yours don't. In any case, why wouldn't you? Of course we know what was taught in the years preceding ours and after ours. That's why we have LTP.
    I find the NC is actually very general, and not prescriptive at all. My school has long existing plans, which cover it extremely well, plus more. I don't understand why any school would find it difficult to cover everything in it, nor why you would feel the need to break the law by not doing so.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Art, music, DT and ICT - I think despite best efforts that not every objective is covered. SMT are only interested in literacy and numeracy. Any other subjects are not viewed as important as not observed by anyone. No real monitoring of coverage year to year and long term plans based more on creative topics without regard to entire coverage of NC.
    Literacy and numeracy rule.

17. I believe that in a primary school, literacy and numeracy, or English and Maths, as I like to call it (call me old fashioned) should rule. It gives children the basics for everything else, but I do also take into account that we are governed by the National Curriculum.
    APP? Give me a break...as assessment leader in the school, I could recognise that it wasn't going to work and I never pushed it. The Primary Strategies? I didn't understand the English one, never mind teach it.
    As long as we teach the Programmes of Study from the NC, we are doing our job. I teach it in whatever way benefits the small people in my classroom. If I have to teach imperial measurements, which I do, then I will teach it in a way that benefits them.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

APP is law in our school. Having used other people's APP grids, I cannot make head or tail of what the child can and can't do. Lots of highlighting, names crossed out etc.
    Anyway - this is all off topic.
    You could estimate the size of a plasma TV in inches!!

19. Yeah but, how much lit and num can you realistically teach in a week?! Still leaves an awful lot of time to fill. You've got those kids for 7 years, surely it's perfectly possible to fulfil the NC requirements in that time?! We teach by theme as well, but manage to make sure everything from the NC is met somewhere throughout their time with us. I like the freedom the NC affords actually, and have never used the Strategies et al.

20. I wasn't off topic at any time! But I am going to be now. APP? Get a reasonably intelligent year 6 with a highlighter pen to highlight a few bits on the grids if it's law. How can you assess 3 or 6 children, then assume the rest of the class follows? Rubbish.
    But I am aware that I have to teach to the programmes of study, which is no bad thing. I was taught before the NC was in place and suffered for it (IMO). There was no accountability, no competition.
    And because of my age, I would struggle to tell you the size of my tv in cm. I can approximate it in inches though. If only I was taught how to do both at school...[​IMG]