1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6. I have no idea at all what to teach in maths and literacy in my first year.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aladdin2, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

The outgoing year 6 says all his planning is in his head so cannot help me! Palpitations and sleepless nights. I didn't change for a career in teaching to feel like this. Can anyone put me in the right direction please?? I feel like I am floundering before I have even started. I have absolutely no idea what units to cover. SAVE ME PLEASE!!!

2. My advice is to search for Ros Wilson's Big Writing, donwload the pyramid, get the purple book and teach the level 4/5 VCOP then harrass your headteacher until he allows you to go on one of her ace courses! Use the VCOP in every single lesson and subject you can. Regarding maths- Andrell also do Big Maths. Failing this, use the 'removing barriers' to level 4 document- should be on the old framework site somewhere!
    'All my planning in my head indeed'... is this perhaps why he is the outgoing teacher! I certainly would not accept this from a member of my staff!

3. "Year 6. I have no idea at all what to teach in maths and literacy in my first year."

I am a surgeon, I haven't a clue how do do your operation.

I am a barrister, God knows how I will win your case.

I am an architect. How do you plan a building?

I am a soldier. Where is that trigger thingy again?

4. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Thank you so much!

5. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

I thought that the forum existed for people (teachers like myself who are relativley new and experienced teachers like yourself) to share their concerns about any aspects of the profession etc. If you cannot be constructive, don't bother to respond you idiot!

6. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Thank you for your help.

7. Aladdin2
    I am sure you know how to teach in Maths and Literacy, what it seems to me is that the previous teacher has not handed on any information about where the children in the class are; so you have no clear starting point. I'm in Scotland but if HMIe were to come in and ask to see his plans he'd be roasted over hot coals if he said they were in his head.
    You have my sympathy, this happened to someone I know and they were an experienced teacher; but it made life very difficult until she'd had time to gauge the children's levels of ability; a luxury which is not always available.
    B

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Surely it will be the Y5 teacher who will have that information not the previous Y6 teacher????
    Does the school not have a tracking system to show where children were at the end of the year?

9. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Aladin2
    Y6 can be scarey, we only really get 2 terms to fit everything befire tests are looming. I can email You my longterm frameworks, they set out all the content i am going to teach in lit and maths and might help you get started.

10. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Hi zugthebug.
    Your response re-assures me that I have made myself a bit clearer in my post. That is my worry - what to select from all of the units displayed on the Framework site. I have no problem planning it, just which ones to use. It would be extremeley thoughtful of you to send those, thank you. [​IMG] Shall I leave my e mail here?

11. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

yes please. I can send you my outline for the year, it shows the order I am going to teach the units in although there is no right answer it might help to get you going

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It is better to send email addresses as a PM rather than in an open forum.

13. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Thanks

14. In Year Six you basically have to cover everything that they should know for numeracy and literacy! Do you know if there are sets or is it whole class teaching? You need to find out if there are any themes that you can link the literacy into. For Literacy find a good book that you can get lots of the genres out of (newspaper, diary, information texts, story etc). We've used Coming to England by Floella Benjamin and Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo but there are lots out there. As for numeracy, usually start with place value, then 4 operations to find out if they have basics... Good Luck! But definitely talk to Head.