1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

YAY FINALLY IT WORKED! I really hope there are some friendly fellows out there that wouldn't mind giving me a point in the right direction. Also, after 5 years of key stage 1, I was wondering if anyone else out there has made this kind of move and how you refreshed yourself with (particularly) the Numeracy knowledge and the teaching approach to older children?

THANK YOU!

2. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

Hi following this post with interest - I hope Year 6 teachers can help. I am new to year 6 in Sep and would be interested to hear what do you feel are the most important things to do in the first couple of weeks e.g would you assess the children as soon as possible? What are your top ten tips for a new teacher to Year 6? Please help - thanks x

3. Hey! Following this post with interest too! The top ten tips sound like a great idea and would be very useful!

4. 1. Be firm
    2. Start with assessment activities do a piece of writing, assess maths key things like number facts, place value and written/mental calculation methods.
    3. Get the children onto a 'progress is important' mind set and use this all the time
    4. Analyse the data yourself and work out realistically how far you can move your children and depending on the HT tell them.
    5. Remember they're still primary children and love all aspects e'g reading corners
    6. Be prepared for all those little 'jobs' that year 6 just have to do during the year e.g sports events
    7. Use test base or sats questions in some starters/plenaries so that the children aren't scared of tests.
    8. For Maths focus on mental strategies for a while, as often the children won't have sat tests like these on a regular basis.
    9. Get parents on board and dispell the belief that the NCTs are just for the school
    10. Have fun and don't let the stress get to you. Year 6 are brilliant, so much fun and have bags of personality.

All those 10 were just written as I thought of them.
    I'm sure I'll think of more.

5. I made the move - did 4 years in Y2 and have just completed my 6th year in Y6. I was absolutely dreading the move but it's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I was initially very worried about subject knowledge and if you feel the same, the best advice I can give you is to not plan too far ahead. Take each week as it comes and you soon get into the swing of it.
    I agree with everything Upsidedown has said too.
    I love how Y6 can do things independently and the maturer level of discussion. Y6 is the best - enjoy it!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Remember your job is not to get them through SATs, it is to get them ready for Secondary school. SATs might be part of this but ensuring they are independent. organised and confident is much more important!

7. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I agree with everything that has been said so far - I moved from reception to year 6 so know what you are going through- although my heart lay on ks1 so now teach in year 2. When I was in year 6 I I was very keen on PSHE activitites and planned a sesssion each week which we did not drop whatever was happening things like team building or using motivational posters as a starter for discussion/ role play.I also read whole class text where every child had the text than would ask the children to thnk of/ answer different styles of questions which would prepare them for 1,2 and 3 mark questions in the sats. My class loved debates and I also got them out of the classroom whenever possible and went for walks - lots of outdoor learning. In addition we also created a Young Enterprise Kids club- YEK- the children had to think of their own fund raising activities and the money they raised paid for the end of year trip- we ended up going to Camelot and had great fun. With regard to maths I had to revise every night as maths is my weaker subject in comparison to literacy - I found extending for the level 5's tricky so asked for support from the head. It is completely different from teaching in KS1 and the marking is huge so I quickly learnt not to leave it or else you end up swamped. Good luck with your change- it is good fun, just different!

8. tick/star/smileyface

oh wow, thank you everyone so far! That is a great help. It's really good to know that others have hesitantly made the move and enjoyed it - which I am definitely hoping for!
    JEN G - Maths is probably my weaker area - purely because I have a degree in english and love it personally, and from a professional point of view my brain has been focussed on key stage 1 Maths for the last 5 years!! So most people prepare for that side of things as and when it comes? I guess one of my main worries is how you actually approach these giant children! :) yes I know they are still children and that must be at the heart of everything, but they are getting like small adults and I'm just thinking about my approach to (from a most basic level!) to speaking to the whole class! Also, do year 6 children still like stickers?

9. I was worried about moving to year 6 at first but I have been there for 5 years now and would not want to be anywhere else.
    Firstly in my experience they still love stickers and stampers and certificates and also being chosen to do jobs. They obviously dont have the wide eyed innocence to accept anything you tell them like the younger years but you can have a good relationship with them using humour and banter approach and I find being firm but always clearly fair works well with them. Remember start off harder/firmer as you can always get softer but not the other way around. Make sure that they know what you will accept and will not accept as clear boundaries also help. Have a clear behavior system in place I even use traffic llights for them resulting in them not earning any golden time or losing break time or football/sport privileges as they are the things that seem to matter to year 6's I have had. Hope some of this helps.

10. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

My last class have been known to beg other teachers for stickers when they've been down to KS1 to help out and do jobs. I tend to use the phrase "but of course you're far too old and mature for stickers now aren't you?" which gets the reply "noooooooo!". You might find some of your 'cooler' kids won't want to wear them on their jumpers but would rather stick them on their drawers or pencil cases.

11. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

My kids also loved the wristbands as rewards I got some from PTS

12. yes i can confirm yr 6 children LOVE stickers, stamps, smiley faces and any general rewards! my class last year criticised all the y6 staff (we are a 5 form entry) for treating them in a 'too grown up' way!
    please please please dont worry about going into y6, or about the children being grown up and tall and scary! as soon as you hear about their weekend at build-a-bear or similar, you remember they may be the biggest in the primary school, but they are also still little children and sometimes rather enjoy being treated as little children! i have been known to read the gruffalo to my class of yr6 and they have loved it!
    good luck, this time next year you'll be thinking 'what was i worrying about?'!!! x

13. tick/star/smileyface

BRILL, thanks everyone. I was hoping they would still like stickers! for times like circle time/SEAL when you pass ideas around the circle, in the past with ks1 I have used a teddy, but what kind of things do people use in ks2? Also, in terms of for guided reading times, do your year 6s like reading corners with cushions etc? Thanks again!x

14. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

good luck!
    one thing i did pick up from a now promoted head of year 6, was that he did a lot of guided reading based on the sats reading tests. It takes a long time for the pupils to get the hang of how to answer the questions, especially three pointers. We are going to write some similar questions for half of our guided reading sessions, based on whichever text is in use at the time. We deicided not to do that for all sessions as it could become boring and put them off reading!
    The emphasis on becoming independent workers as mentioned above is very improtant, especially as regards bringing their own set of equipment and calculator.
    My experience is that even year 11 pupils still like stickers! Lots of teachers stop giving them way before the children have grown out of them!

15. i still use a teddy for the first few weeks of term when we have a circle time, or pull out lollysticks out of the jar if they are taking turns to talk (each lollystick has a child's name on, so it provides a random order) one child can be in charge of this.
    i still have a reading corner with cushions etc. they enjoy this during guided reading but also like to sit there for a few minutes treat (people who have finished work early/good teamwork on the table etc)

16. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I have a random selection of teddy bears/other stuffed animals on the windowsill. I ask one the children to choose which they would like that session.
    I also have a lollystick jar - best thing ever! I use it for everything; choosing someone for a ob, sorting partners/groups, deciding who gets the computers at wet break.

17. Yes I agree. Year 6 students need to consolidate their mental math skills - 25% for the SATs, and 75% because it's important.
    I totally disagree. Campaign immediately against the SATs as soon as you take up office in Year 6. Prepare students for them - but don't waste too much of their valuable education on instructing children how to beat the test. If they're really valuable, why do Year 6 kids waste months of real education and learning for a few hours of testing that tells us nothing that we don't already know? Madness!
    If you have to teach sex education in Year 6 - I would get it done before the end of October in an attempt to improve classroom smells early in the year.

18. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

firstly it is not Y6 job to prepare children for secondary school, we complete their primary education and whether you like it or not end of key stage tests are part of the routine. Y6 may be scary but very rewarding. stickers, cushions of guided reading etc ask them! They have been through the routines of other teachers, am sure you talked to their previous Y5 teacher so use some of their good practice as continuity and add your own ideas too. Y6 in september are usually delightful, they have new responsibilities, role model for younger children etc. hit the ground running, you need to find out how big the summer slip has been and get going. drop me an email address and i can help with planning and test prep etc (been doing it successfully for 15years) the challenge is Y6 in June and July when secondary school is nearer and they hit the realisation of leaving.

19. You can prepare for the tests in an valuable and educational way. It is important to get Pupils and Parents on board for this. At the end of the year, my performance management targets are decided based on how many children achieved what they needed to in this tests and therefore I'm going to make sure they achieve what they can, rightly or wrongly.