1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by suzanne.bentley21, Oct 18, 2015.

1. suzanne.bentley21

suzanne.bentley21 New commenter

I'm new to Year 6 this year and was wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom for the best way to teach reading. I have been doing daily guided reading so far (30 min sessions with books from a reading scheme), but after speaking to other experienced Y6 teachers, I am considering that this may not be the best way to go. It seems like others are having longer bi-weekly sessions and spending lots of time going through reading papers.
    Given the raised expectations this year, I was wondering if anybody has a tried and tested method that:
    keeps the children interested/ motivated
    helps to improve the children's reading skills,
    shows clear progress each lesson
    "trains" the children to cope with SATs papers.

It might be a tall order but am just interested to see how others do it. I've been looking a little at the idea of class reading sessions which would spend longer teaching and embedding those higher order reading skills. It sounds great in theory but not sure which way to go!

Thanks

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I have found reading lessons to be more beneficial than guided reading sessions with certain Y6 cohorts. I'd get them to do a practice paper and then analyse the results to see where the weaknesses are. You can then teach lessons on particular AFs (or whatever they're called now) or on test technique. AF2 and AF3 have had by far the biggest focus in previous years and I expect that won't change. There are stacks of ready prepared AF3 resources out there online and in various schemes and it's not hard to make your own to fit a well-chosen text.

Speed and stamina is frequently an issue so I tend to introduce tight time limits on reading tasks (actually on pretty much everything in Y6). Use fiction and non-fiction texts linked to your history or geography topic and make questions to match. The children can 'speed read' the text to a time limit and then work through the questions.

The good old 'Point, Evidence, Explain' routine (there'll be resources that explain it on here) is a good strategy to help them to get to the point - they don't need to write in full sentences in the tests and this helps them to structure their answers with sufficient detail but without superfluous writing that wastes time. They also seem to love it.

I wouldn't overload them with doing actual test practices. One per half term is plenty. But through taking texts (both from test papers and 'real' texts)and working through them in lessons with shorter tasks with time limits, you are still helping them to understand how to take the test.