1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 6 first day/week back

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi everyone, after a break from TES due to technical problems, it's so great to be back and see everyone helping everyone again/still!! I have already posted about being new to y6, but I just wondered what ideas people have for the first day/week back in Sept. I am used to ks1 where we do lots of getting to know you, short activities, art/finding a new friend etc, but I am aware that in y6 it is slightly different! I know behaviour needs to be stamped on immediately (any tips?) but any other ideas for activities and things you do (a) for the children and (b) to get yourself sorted!
    BIG THANKS X

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Quick answer;get straight into work!
    Seriously don't waste time, they will have done so much 'getting to know you activities' in previous years. Most will know each other well, it's only you who needs to get to know them and you'll do that soon enough whilst they're working. You've presumably had an induction day(s) for that anyway?
    They've had 6 weeks holiday and need to 'start that brain working again and get into the 'work ethic' as soon as possible.
    AM straight into English and Maths activities which will give you an idea of their abilities, who works/ doesn't work together well.
    Then pm you can do all the Rules etc when they've seen your expectations in the morning.

3. High expectations from the minute they arrive - both for behaviour and work. I always get started on real lessons from day one. By year 6 they know how they should behave in school. It is highly unlikely that my expectations of behaviour will be much different to any other teacher they have had so make it quite clear that there is no change. i make it clear that I will be firm, fair and consistant - but do this as an on going process rather than through direct teaching. I usually take about 10 -15 to set my high standards.
    In most schools, the children will already know each other so there is no need for them to find out about each other and I always feel the best way for me and the children to get to know each other is through expectations and work situations. You won't find out much about the children at this stage by talking or activities as a whole class. They are still childrenbut they are becoming more aware and more self conscious so they tend to clam up before they get to know you.
    Good Luck - Year 6 is the best.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Hopefully they have some whole school responsibilities to take up, bearing in mind that these may well stop in the run up to SATS, get them under way quickly.
    I would be emphasisiing the need for them to take responsibility for bringing a full pencil case, calculator etc. Especially important that they get used to using their own calculator efficiently and that it be the one that they will use in the SATS.

5. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

thanks everyone - this is so valuable for me - being a newbie! I kind of thought we wouldn't do too much getting to know - think I'll do a quick this is me/expectations in the morning and explain that I'm going to see them working on Lit and Num in the morning and then in the afternoon we'll work together to come up with our whole class rules and responsibilities - so we all know how we can earn our special privileges and extra special y6 jobs! Does this sound reasonable? I'm sure once I'm in there it will all start to come to me, but this is literally a million miles away from my y1 experience and as scary as it seems I am really excited for the challenge and new experience - I just want to get it right! So any other tips for y6 in any areas would be gratefully received - you all seem to know your stuff! THANKS AGAIN!

6. Start straightaway. With Year 6, you will need every minute. In our school Year 6 tend to get the lead roles in the Christmas Play. From the first week back after half term Christmas concert practise will be underway. So these first 6 weeks are so important. If I had year 6, i'd be starting my medium term plans as soon as I've done the register !.
    Don't waste time doing class rules. They should now realise what is acceptable behaviour. You know the school policy so act from lesson 1 on any breaking of rules.
    Don't smile too much on the first day !.
    Mark the work immediately (at the end of the day) so when they get the books back on Day 2, they know you mean business.

7. .
    I have to disagree with this!
    I would say smile lots, have a joke and relax. Let them see that you want to be there with them. When they step out of line come down heavy. there needs to be balance.
    These kids have to see that you are a real person that they can relate to but also a person who will not take any nonsense
    Everything else I agree with completely.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, that's always a good start! Especially if you can praise their efforts.

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I start straight with the work. English and Maths in the morning (some kind of assessment work) then an afternoon of science. Next day we'll go over their writing and carry on with some basic skills in maths. At some point during the week they'll do last years SATs papers for me to compare with the year 5 results.

10. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

not smiling rule depends on class reputation. i would rather start very firm so they know the lines not to cross,behaviour that wont be tolerated etc. you can lighten up later. agree get to work as soon as possible. i tend to spend about 30mins going through expected routines and behaviour then straight to work. the expectations will be revised throughout the first week. first PE lesson changing routine, hall routines etc.
    doing assessments is a great idea, they will be cold so a definite measure of what they have or havent remembered