1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 English Planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by demure, Jan 1, 2019.

1. demure

demure New commenter

Hello,

I started a new job this year in an international primary initially thinking I was going to be teaching EAL and found out the day I arrived that I’m a mainstream teacher so majorly thrown into the deep end (I was a secondary languages teacher before this). I’ve got little/no planning to work off of and the management this year want unit plans for everything. I’m a hard worker but I have found this job majorly stressful over the paperwork more than anything because the truth is I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing half the time and I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing, etc. My new year’s resolution is to get better at it, particularly in terms of English planning.

The coordinator at my school does up brilliant unit plans that fit into the objectives effortlessly and manages to get everything to fit in perfectly with the books available, etc. I would ask for advice from her but I feel it would just be drawing more attention to myself and make me more stressed if anything. The last book the teacher before me used was King Arthur and the plan literally just said ‘read book’. I managed to use the book but most of it was just doing comprehensions and making comics in all honesty I just felt bad for my students because were bored with it and I was, too. I really want to do my job justice and I could really use some advice. I honestly haven’t enjoyed my Christmas break or any holidays because of this. I guess I’m just wondering is how do you guys manage to get the books to fit into what you need to teach, etc?

demure

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always used the method we trialled when the NC was first introduced and we were all thrown in at the deep end, experienced and 'newbies' together.
    First we printed off a sheet of all objectives to be covered that term / year, large enough to be cut out and manipulated. Then large sheets of of A3 paper stuck together with spaces enough for all the weeks and number of lessons. We then fitted in obvious ones and worked in those that were left.

So adapting that method for a book I would again print out all the major objectives and as I scan read the book I would note which ones would obviously fulfil the objectives. Whittle those down to however many weeks one has by deciding which best fit that particular book and which could easily be done using any book / another nook another term and then one can start planning weekly objectives.
    In other words always plan a term /year and then work down to the smaller units.

Hope that helps.

kaycee1234 and demure like this.
  3. demure

demure New commenter

That’s actually a brilliant idea, thank you! Also in my school they literally have little/no books what I’m wondering is normally do you read to the class or just take out extracts? I only used King Arthur because it was there and there were copies for all the kids. I do genuinely wonder what on earth the teacher before me was doing with it (apparently it was used for years). I have to do a poetry unit next and I saw on the resources that there is loads for the iron man but they have to write a ballad and a sonnet so a part of me is tempted to just teach those parts in isolation.

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Try Hamilton trust and adapt it to the books you have, it will give you a structure and cover main objectives.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was fortunate in that we had a large choice of books with copies for all.
    However in this case I would find out of copyright books, there's a site online, where one can download texts. I did Wind in the Willows for instance but there are other options and then one can have a copy for all to read from / follow at the front. Means one can also highlight / underline portions for emphasis too.

I always fitted in those poetry units as fillers, when I'd worked out how many weeks the main book was going to take.