1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Crime and Punishment Topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwraft, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

My summer topic this year is Crime and Punishment. I was just wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas for this topic. It will start after sats and will be the children's final topic before leaving for high school so I want to make it as fun and interesting as possible.
    Ideas I have so far are:

WOW Week - We have a company coming in one day to do a forensic workshop, this will start with a murder/robbery and we'll be looking at fingerprints and other evidence that is collected. We'll be doing reconstructions and looking at tool impressions etc.

History of crime and punishment - Looking primarily at Tudor and Victorian punishments for crimes, and what those crimes were.

Escape from Alcatraz challenge - Maths/Science based challenge.

Mock Trials - Using fairy tales as a starting point (eg Hansel and Gretel on trial for trapping the witch in the over, Goldilocks for trespassing/home invasion), children become defence/prosecution/witnesses/jury members. We'll do enough so that each child gets to experience the different roles. Thought this would be good for speaking and listening.

Does anyone have any other interesting ideas that will get the children motivated? Our previous topics have been Britain's Got Talent and a Sports League, which the children have loved, so I don't want to let them down with the final topic!

2. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

My summer topic this year is Crime and Punishment. I was just wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas for this topic. It will start after sats and will be the children's final topic before leaving for high school so I want to make it as fun and interesting as possible.
    Ideas I have so far are:

WOW Week - We have a company coming in one day to do a forensic workshop, this will start with a murder/robbery and we'll be looking at fingerprints and other evidence that is collected. We'll be doing reconstructions and looking at tool impressions etc.

History of crime and punishment - Looking primarily at Tudor and Victorian punishments for crimes, and what those crimes were.

Escape from Alcatraz challenge - Maths/Science based challenge.

Mock Trials - Using fairy tales as a starting point (eg Hansel and Gretel on trial for trapping the witch in the over, Goldilocks for trespassing/home invasion), children become defence/prosecution/witnesses/jury members. We'll do enough so that each child gets to experience the different roles. Thought this would be good for speaking and listening.

Does anyone have any other interesting ideas that will get the children motivated? Our previous topics have been Britain's Got Talent and a Sports League, which the children have loved, so I don't want to let them down with the final topic!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Thanks all of these ideas are great! Love the comic idea. Am starting to put lots of this into my medium term plan. Looking into Galleries of Justice - can't believe I didn't know it existed! Have used a similar murder mystery resource before and kids loved it so am sure they will enjoy this!

Thank You!

Any other ideas anyone?

5. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

We are doing a very similiar topic next half term - if you would be so kind as to forward any planning I would really appreciate it.
    carolyne-bateman@talktalk.net

6. We used the guardian advert from last year (the three pigs) to spark some great debate - both talk and writing. The children really enjoyed it and it was a great way into debate. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2012/feb/29/open-journalism-three-little-pigs-advert

7. Hello, I'm about to start this topic and wondered if anyone had any plans they could send me. Thanks so much.

My email address is: beckyhaddow@gmail.com

8. Bit of a longshot, but the idea of the Wergild always gets them excited. The system of paying for crime: literally! How much is a damaged eye from a fight worth? Is it worth more if you were, say, a blacksmith who relied on sight? What about chopping off an arm for an arm? Lots of mileage for moral debates and some great continuity and change stuff for history: Why don't we do this now? Why was it acceptable then?
    Where I am there's a smashing local history opportunity and a great local museum ( the Ely and Littleport riots, where people got sent to Oz), is there anything like that where you are?

9. If you have plans for crime and punishment and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be really grateful. My email is archers@btinternet.com. Tough class this year and I know this topic would be engaging and thought-provoking. Many many thanks, Amelia

10. I am looking at doing crime and punishment in history. If possible and you don't mind sharing it could you email me your planning. My email is lauragreen_06@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance

11. I am looking at doing crime and punishment in history. If possible and you don't mind sharing it could you email me your planning. My email is bfisher2.309@lgflmail.org

12. loyceptr

loyceptr New commenter

Hello,

I realises it is some way back since this post but if you have any of the planning could you share with me. I am looking to make the children's last term exciting.

loycepeter17@gmail.com