1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 classroom

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by OpenSesameStreet, May 1, 2012.

1. I start my NQT year with a year 6 class in September. I want to get resources etc made over the summer and as I have never taught year 6, wonder what resources are must haves for year 6s? Any tips on things to prepare before September would be great!!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm my Year 6 classroom I have things like...
    1. a set of laminated line guides
    2. display heading letters for our topics in various subjects for the year
    3. laminated versions of the expected outcomes in Science
    4. laminated AF explanations for reading and writing
    5. some books with mental maths tests (the school might have these)
    6. display vocab for Maths and a primary mathematical dictionary
    There are, of course, other things, but these are the ones that I have really used this year. Good luck! Year 6 is challenging (and stressful this year, due to NCTs being a bit up-in-the-air!) but I do enjoy it.

3. I am in Year 6 and have found the main things we have used this year have been:
    The working wall
    Line guides
    Target wall - child friendly (but this may also depend on your schools policy)
    Mental Maths test (Download loads from the Wigan maths website - I have found these invaluable!)
    Times tables and division tests - just quick times ones so you can see if they improve and speed up.
    Level 4 and Level 4 writing - What does this look like? (On the display)
    Success criteria for different genres of writing
    Download past SATs papers, Mark Schemes and Mental Maths audio files (all available online free) - although your school may well have hard copies I often found there were chunkc missing.
    Diddy dots sticker charts to record reading at home and homework (and this builds up to treats for those that do it)

4. Thank you! The SATs resources are a good tip. Due to the middle schools closing, my year 6 class will be the first class of year 6s in the school....no pressure!