1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Capital letters and full stops

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Mar 10, 2016.

1. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

My Year 6 are utterly hopeless (careless) at correcting texts with missing capital letters and full stops.

I need texts such as:

it was late when I arrived in rome on Monday evening a taxi was waiting for me

The trouble is, I need literally hundreds of short and quick examples for daily practice and all the examples I can find are ridiculously simplistic where the missing full stop is at the end - even mine can do that!!

Anyone?

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Great idea there and one I've used myself.

The other option is to 'buddy' them up. As I've often said to them it's often difficult to spot one's own mistakes (the brain can sometimes 'compensate' as it knows what one meant to say, and where the punctuation would naturally fall) and it's easier to spot the mistakes of others -teachers included!. They used to love trying to see if there was a deliberate mistake by Miss in any of my work. kept them on their toes as sometimes there would be one and sometimes not. In fact a dyslexic colleague, from whom I pinched the idea, used the method as a technique for children to spot if they could spot the mistakes (which she of course was unaware!;) At least before they spotted them.)

4. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

If you use Google Docs, there's a voice typing plug-in within the programme.

My Y6 class are also rather relaxed about the same pieces of punctuation. What I've done a few times is dictate a few paragraphs to them on Google Docs, which transcribes it on screen without punctuation. That's what the children can crack on with!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I've recently put together lots of 'unpunctuated' sentences which you can find here:

Unpunctuated: Unit 1

They're also available as powerpoints that you could also use to add your own sentences:

Editable Unpunctuated Challenges

They're progressive so the first 10 will probably be too simple for your needs but after that the sentences are more complex and go through the different ways to demarcate sentences. Also includes guidance for the different types of punctuation used for capital letters.

There's an introductory powerpoint which includes some further activities too:

Introducing Capital Letters and Full Stops

Good luck :)

6. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter