1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mcd2000, Oct 28, 2009.

1. We have just read There's a boy in the girls bathroom and the class have loved it. Can anyone suggest any other good books to read with year 6?

2. I've just finished the same book - easy read isn't it??[​IMG] Why not try;
    room 13 robert swindells - thriller
    skellig david almond - gentle
    both appeal to boys and girls alike

3. I'd check those with your secondary school. I've read Skellig with top set Year 7 and Room 13 with bottom set Year 7. Currently have Year 6 and was advised not to use Skellig. Besides, I don't think it's an easily accessible book.
    I'm currently reading "A series of unfortunate events" to my class, and they absolutely love it. We'll be doing a unit on Stormbreaker next, and particularly my boys are really excited.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Surely a Y6 teacher can read whatever book they want. If a secondary school reads it again thats their problem.

5. Cause they can. However, if you are aware that they are going to read it in Year 7, why would you want to spoil it for them? They have to sit through enough rubbish and repetition in that year.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

As I said, thats nt the responsibility of a Y6 teacher. We want to give the children a good experience now. If Y7 can't be bothered to find new books then thats them being lazy.
    Our kids go to 3 or 4 different secondary schools in Y7. That would mean contacting all of them to see what they might be reading.

7. poet

poet New commenter

I'd absolutely read skellig to year 6. I have done it with year 5 and 6's missing out the odd swearword or two it's fantastic.
    I did it with the units from the power of reading from the CLPE and from which the unit on boy in the girls bathroom on the framework was based. They recommended it to year 5/6 and their word is good enough for me.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've read Skellig to a Year 6 class last year, and they were utterly captivated by it. If that's not accessing it, I don't know what is. It's a wonderful book and it would be a total shame to banish it from the primary school in case some of them come into contact with it at some point in their lives.
    I agree completely with Milgod that it's the secondaries' responsibility to keep up to date on what's being read in primaries and adjust their content accordingly. Progress works from the bottom up, not from the top down. That would be like refusing to teach more able children level 6 maths content in case we spoiled it for the secondaries. If they do end up reading Skellig again a couple of years down the line, they'll be a couple of years older and wiser and be able to take more from the text.
    Other books I've used with 5/6 (some also with the excellent Power of Reading scheme):
    Wolf Brother
    The London Eye Mystery
    Goodnight Mr Tom
    The Garbage King
    Street Child
    Stormbreaker

9. How about Millions by Frank Cotrell Boyce - short chapters like Boy in Girl's Bathroom but lots of scope.

10. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Street Child is an absolute corker - mine spontaneoulsy applauded at the end. Bits of it are a bit traumatic though and nearly made me cry. Stormbreaker is also fab. I'm currently reading Hiding Out a book about a boy who gets left behind in France and how he manages to survive in a cage by himself. Goodnight Mr Tom is great too but takes ALOT of reading!

Power of Reading is fab isn't it?. Planning to use more of it next year and try and persuade staff. Has anyone else noticed how the Framework stuff for A boy in the girls bathroom is taken from this?

11. It's probably a personal thing. I wouldn't find it appropriate for my current class (our G&T kids have read it). I'm not terribly keen on reading a book about the near-death of a baby to them, which then gets rescued by what might be a bird-devouring angel. However, I'm also someone who hates Narnia and I can't stand Jaqueline Wilson books.

12. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am currently reading 'Clockwork' by Philip Pullman to my Year 5 class and they are absolutely hooked.
    It's a brilliant book because it has mystery and horror, with some brilliant cliffhangers to keep them wanting more.

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I agree that it does depend on the class. The class I read it to were a very bookish class and were able to read into a lot of the finer points of the novel. My current class, admittedly Year 5, wouldn't get it at all, the majority of them anyway and I'm not sure they would next year either.
    I don't have an issue with books that explore the concept of death, or near-death. Goodnight Mr Tom deals with the death of a baby as well; it's an enormously powerful section of the book that needs careful exploration, as in Skellig, but I don't feel that death is a concept that should be avoided with children. The idea of magic in kids' books has always been present and the fact that it's never revealed whether Skellig is an angel or not (the character is a more of a metaphor for hope than anything else), is one of the book's strengths.
    I'm with you on the Narnia books (outdated Christianity propounding rubbish), and I also dislike Jacqueline Wilson's. Entirely overrated.
    A good point raised in one of the above posts though; short chapters are often key with class books. Even better if they're often juicy cliffhangers! I hate having to stop half way through a chapter with a class and trying to pick the thread back up a couple of days later.

14. The fact that you actually have to "explore" the concept carefully is the reason why I don't want it as a class reader. We do have novels that we study as part of our English work and then I have the time to look in more depth at such things. With my class readers, though, we don't have lengthy discussions or follow-up work. It's just a book we share as a class, as they actually quite enjoy being read to and not having to complete lots of activities on. We read it when there are a few spare minutes, or when I think they need something to calm them down.
    That's something I don't mind at all. It usually happens that I can stop at something exciting. My class already suspect me to have a walkie talkie hidden somewhere, so I signal the office when we get to a "good" part and the ring the bell. :D

15. I'm reading 'Holes' by Louis Sachar (the same author as 'there's a boy...') I've read it to previous year six classes and they loved it. It was made into a film, which we're going to watch and do some comparision work. The class read 'there's a boy...' in year 5 so we can also do some work on texts by the same author
    Hope that helps

16. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

Just found this old thread. Some great suggestions of books. Can anyone recommend others? I would be keen to build up an extensive list so that I could link books back to topics wherever possible.

17. Last year, we read The Turban Wallah - excellent book about a sikh family coming to the UK many years ago and how the boy was bullied due to him having a turban but was later accepted into society. Excellent book and linked in very well with R.E and PSHE.