1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 and June 1st Lesson Planning

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by roghl, May 26, 2020.

1. roghl

roghl New commenter

My year 6 class will be back on June 2nd (inset on June 1st). The plan is to still set Google classroom lessons for ones that do not come in and to ensure teachers are not 'double planning' I will be teaching roughly around what I have set on GClassroom. When this was discussed and decided in a recent SLT meeting I fully agreed with it but now as I get my planning head on I can see many drawbacks and challenges. It's not like I can 'wing' the lessons too much as our Year 5 teacher will be taching bubble B of year 6 whilst he is also online planning for his Year 5's that won't be in...

So my question is what is everyone else planning for year 6's (post SATs) with a heavy emphasis on PSHE. Any help, pointers, ideas, etc would be hugely appreciated. Is there any online resource/section dedicated to this area? Could we as a community set something up?

In addition what are people doing as special something rather than the end of year play and/or leavers assembly.

Of course what then happens in another two weeks time when the whole school is back and so the fun goes on.

chickenlady4 likes this.
  2. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Same sort of situation. Some yr6 in, some yr6 at home and yr5 at home to plan for. First day is going to be a rebonding day. A touch of arithmetic and fractions, art and PSHE. Thing is, those at home will be doing something different! Not sure how to organise it as usually there is a strong element of maths and English in the home learning.

Still doing end of year video - depends how many of the yr6 are in as to the format. All about the children, no staff involved!

3. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Also, if you are on F B there are some great groups (yr5/6), with lots of traffic, that are busy sharing LOADS of ideas.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Getting ready for secondary

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Exactly the same as above … some Year 6 in, not sure how many yet, some still at home. Think more may trickle back (they'll have to wait until there is a group of at least 6) but others will not come at all. Thinking lots of secondary transition - plan to contact secondary schools - Zoom meet with Y7 Heads? Bit of fractions and still making up my mind about a good class novel. Lots of art and distanced PE - as much outside as possible, including lunch if we can. We will also have second Year 6 bubble in Year 5 - if enough come in. But it's still very woolly!!!!

Half thinking of getting them all to write their favourite memory of primary and a wish for their friends, then filming them reading their piece … could put it all together to share with families. I'd like to include a song if I can get someone much techier than me to help.

Good luck next week, everyone!

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm a Head of year 7. We've sent out spreadsheets to all our feeder primaries asking for info -as we do every year. This year we've asked to know if any of our news students have been affected by loss during the pandemic. We won't be able to have induction day, so we've recorded voices and clips from current year 7s offering advice and support. I've asked the year 6s to write me a letter in their normal handwriting telling me all about themselves. I'll distribute these to the new tutors who will then contact the letter writers.
    There's going to be a fair amount of technology involved along the way, but I'm sure we'll manage.
    We have told ALL year 6s not to worry about "missing on learning" , we'll most likely not be setting anyone until at least half term.
    So, one thing year 6s could be doing is writing a letter to their new HOY ?

Lidnod likes this.
  7. roghl

roghl New commenter

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Helps knowing that I'm not the only Year 6 teacher going through this.

The plot does thicken though with Lancashire County Council just annoucing that they want to keep schools closed for now. Perhaps another two weeks until we open? Who knows. It's all very last minute though!

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Czech Republic have just told schools that y10 and y12 will be going back on June 8th. How is that for last minute!

Primary are already back. Well, half of primary at a time.

9. fennysnake

fennysnake New commenter

I asked the children what they thought they needed to go over before secondary - they came up with how to use a protractor and long division - so we're starting with that!
    We are doing an American style Year Book as well as a video to replace Leavers' Assembly. We are trying to include the children who are still at home as much as possible, too.

nvanlimbeek and agathamorse like this.